2 wire cs alternator hookup by freedog81
Started on: 11-11-2003 11:46 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Stinkin_V8 on 11-11-2003 12:59 PM
freedog81

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for freedog81Send a Private Message to freedog81Direct Link to This Post
I have a two wire cs alternator off of a 3800 engine and it only has a pink and brown wire coming off of it and I just wanted to make sure that the pink one went to the red wire on the fiero and the brown goes to the brown. And what would be the differences between a two wire alternator and a three wire alternator from that line. Thanks a lot for the help
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Will a CS from a 3800 work? I thought the mounting points were different than the Fiero 2.8 V6 mounts.

Go to Orge's cave he has a good write-up on the CS conversion and a link to another page that explains the wiring.

freedog81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedog81Send a Private Message to freedog81Direct Link to This Post
yeah I looked at all of that on the ogres page and they look the same and the one I have is from a 89 lesabre and it looks the same as all of those there. Mabye i will just try and find a adapter so I don't have to cut the wires from the car before I know it it will work or not.
Stinkin_V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Stinkin_V8Send a Private Message to Stinkin_V8Direct Link to This Post
I'm swapping a 3800 in right now and I'm in the same boat. From what I can determine from the schematics I've looked at, the larger black wire on the stud of the alternator and the PNK/BLK out of the connector are connected further down the line and then connected to the junction block near C500 by Fusible Link E which is the largest link there. The brown wire goes to the brown wire in C500 which goes through a diode and to the charge indicator light. According to my schematics, this diode is between C500 and the CIL, so no need to worry about it.

That said, I haven't hooked mine up yet and can't verify the accuracy. I looked at the Ogre's site just now and this seems to verify what I've found but cautions that all alternators are not the same. If I've read it right, he also says if you're not sure which alternator version you have to hook it up as above.

And to (finally) answer your question, I'm essentially connecting brown to brown and pink to red.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock