Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Remove Valve covers without removing plenum?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Remove Valve covers without removing plenum? by connecticutFIERO
Started on: 11-11-2003 12:13 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: connecticutFIERO on 11-11-2003 12:08 PM
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
I have been driving around on my reman 2.8 for 2 days now and have noticed a loud tick that sounds awefully like lifters. I am thinking maybe I should open up the VC's and check. I know when i put the valve covers on it wasn't very difficult to take them on and off, but that was out of the car and now with the upper plenum on it and being in the engine compartment it seems a bit difficult. Any ideas? Maybe my engine needs to break in a little more and the lifter sound will go away. Its really loud though. And i know its not an exhaust leak.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fiero_silva

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero_silvaSend a Private Message to fiero_silvaDirect Link to This Post
I dont think you can remove them without removing the intakes
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Upper and middle plenum have to come off for those things. There was someone making 2 piece valve covers so u didn't have to, but I don't think that ever worked out. Even still its only a few minute job to pull the plenum off.

What I like to do is undo the 2 bolts that hold on the TB, this way you don't have to play with the sensors, or the coolent lines, etc that run to it. Then there are just the few vac lines, egr, and the plenum bolts.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
you CAN take the valve covers off without removing the plenums. You can get them back on too (the important part), but its tough. You still need to remove the hoist brackets. But, I will say, having done it both ways, take the plenum's off. It makes it much easier. The plenums are easy enough to take off & put back.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
If you are using roller tip rockers, they are more noisy than the stock rockers and will make a cliking sound.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
The cover can be removed and replaced with the plenum's in place. It is a very tight fit but it can be done. You do need to remove the lifiting brakets as mentioned.
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

If you are using roller tip rockers, they are more noisy than the stock rockers and will make a cliking sound.

I wish I was but nope its all stock internally. Do you think its worth it to use roller rockers?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock