smoke from passenger dash by collinwestphal
Started on: 11-10-2003 04:36 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: jscott1 on 11-12-2003 04:55 PM
collinwestphal

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
ok, I accidentally hooked up my neg battery cable to the pos. bettery terminal, and the pos. battery cable to the neg. battery terminal. This was do to all black wires since I relocated my battery to the front.

Anyway, so I hooked it up and it took me a couple minutes to realize what I had done.
The lights went up when turned off, and the lights turned on when they went down, and off when they went up. Just as I was about to unhook the cable to test my theory, I noticed a grey smoke oozing out from under the passenger side dash. After switching the battery cables, everything appears to work except for the passenger side headlight motor. the light turns on, but the motor doesnt go up. This is an 88 coupe, and I just completely disassembled the healights and motors and cleaned and reassembled. They were working great.

Any ideas what the smoking would have been?
something to do with the headlight?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
If you are lucky you blew a fuse link, but they are in the LF under the hood.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
what does LF mean?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
left front
Mark

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 08:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MarkSend a Private Message to MarkDirect Link to This Post
The damage that occurred depends on what was connected and what was turned on. If the key was off, you will be better off.

Was the alternator connected? If so, you had a direct short across the stator diodes in the alternator. You very well may have a failed fusible link "E" (near the battery). You should check that.

Also, any relay that has a freewheeling diode internally connected across the coil would "look" like a short circuit to a reverse-connected battery. This may also clear a fusible link.

Still, the question of what "smoked" under the dash remains. Again this depends on whether the key was in any position other than off. If you can answer this, it would help.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
I had the key in the on position. The radio and heater etc. would not run. It was not in the Acc. position. Also, I had the alternator wire disconnected.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post

collinwestphal

698 posts
Member since Jun 2003
also, I dont have any fusible links anymore. What size fuse were the two near the battery?
Where can I buy compatible fuses?
Electrathon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-11-2003 07:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The size of the link is imprinted on the side of the plastic butt connedtor at the link, likely 14 guage, but not postitive. Napa sells fuse link wire, USE THE CORRECT SIZE! The link should be 6" long.
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
what do these 2 fuses protect against?
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2003 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
I don't have my drawings in front of me, but basically everything except the starter is protected by some sort of current protection.

It is not a good idea to elliminate the fusible links. Were you to develop a short to ground in an unfused wire, your Fiero is quickly going to become a fire statistic.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock