T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Head Bolt trouble by onoj5
Started on: 11-10-2003 11:20 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: T-top Fiero on 11-10-2003 07:16 PM
onoj5
No longer registered
Report this Post11-10-2003 11:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onoj5Send a Private Message to onoj5Direct Link to This Post
I had a stuck head bolt on my 84 duke. I used a long piece of tube to get enough force to break it loose but i broke the bolt in half. Now i got about 1/4 inch of bolt sticking out of the block. What is the best way to get it out.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
If you are lucky and persistant...

I would drop a nut over the bolt and weld the inside full. LOTS of PB Blaster and wiggle it back and forth, not just force in one direction. Good luck and use persistance more than force.

onoj5
No longer registered
Report this Post11-10-2003 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for onoj5Send a Private Message to onoj5Direct Link to This Post
i thought of that but there is like no treads to even get the nut over.
yosemitefieros

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for yosemitefierosSend a Private Message to yosemitefierosDirect Link to This Post
You will have to drill out the bolt center and use an easy out. I had the same thing happen when I helped a friend build up a hot rod 500HP Z-28 recently. I drilled a small hole straight down into the head bolt part around 2" deep. Then I drilled a little larger hole, and a little larger hole until I was able to get an easy out into the center of the bolt part that was big enough that it would not break easily. I PB Blastered the heck out the the bolt part (soaking and respraying for 2 days!) Then I turned out the bolt a little, blastered it again, and finally got it out.

I tapped the threads to make sure they were OK and Voila! I was done.

Good Luck, Gary.

onoj5
No longer registered
Report this Post11-10-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for onoj5Send a Private Message to onoj5Direct Link to This Post
Thank i will try that where can i get easy out and what is PB blaster and where do u get it?
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 01:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
The threads do not matter, use a nut that is one size to big. If you have a 1/4" sticking up it should be enough.

If not then do what Gary said. Just be very carefull to keep it centered! Buy sharp new drill bits and GO SLOW! I would start by grinding the top of the bolt flat to be sure you can punch it exactly in the correct spot.

Blaster is common now at most parts stores. It is a penetrating oil. It is the best, settle on nothing else.

[This message has been edited by Electrathon (edited 11-10-2003).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 07:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
I'd do what electrathon suggests before trying an EZ out. I'm batting .000 lifetime with EZ outs and if you break the EZ out off in the hole then you are big time screwed.

Once you get a nut welded on I'd trying zapping it a bit in both directions with an impact wrench to try to break the bond.

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-10-2003 07:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
When I changed the head gasket on my 84 last year I had two head bolts on the exhaust side break. One stuck out of the block about an inch and the other one about 3/8". I thought I was in a world of hurt, but as it turned out they both came out easy. The one that stuck out about an inch just unscrewed by hand and other one came almost as easy after I sprayed some penetrating oil on it and then clamped some vise grips on it and turned.
It seems the bolts didn't break because they were not stuck in the block, but because they were stuck in the head. There was a lot of rust and corrosion on the shaft of the head bolts on the exhaust side.

Pat

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock