Started on: 11-07-2003 01:24 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Archie on 11-13-2003 11:31 PM
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 01:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I have noticed that there are some people out there doing engine swaps or performance upgrades and they are not upgrading their sick, stock 2.8 fuel pumps. Come on folks, you need to realize that the stock 2.8 fuel pump for the Fiero was barely enough for the 2.8 it was meant to work with, let alone a bigger engine or even a power adder for the stock V6.

I have heard that the LT1 corvette fuel pump is a popular choice; but for its price, you can do a lot better.

The Walbro 307 is a popular fuel pump with the Turbo Buick crowd and it is basically a drop in replacement for the Fiero as well. It flows 255 liters per hour @ 70psi which will support up to around 600hp and for $105.00 it is a great deal. You can also use it as a stock replacement for your 2.8 if you are planning on upgrading the engine at a later date. I have personally been running one in my Fiero for over 3 years and have not had a single problem with it. You can purchase it along with an installation kit (for the Buick GN but it will also work with the Fiero) from http://www.precisionte.com or many other popular retailers.

Trust me there is not a stock fuel pump for any GM car that you can buy over the counter that out-flows this thing, I have tested several. And no, the LT1 vette unit doesn't even come close.

------------------
power corrupts. absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Custom GM Chip Burning | Fiero Engine Conversions | Turbocharging | dtcc.cz28.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lowfierogt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 247
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2003 09:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lowfierogtClick Here to visit lowfierogt's HomePageSend a Private Message to lowfierogtDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

I have noticed that there are some people out there doing engine swaps or performance upgrades and they are not upgrading their sick, stock 2.8 fuel pumps. Come on folks, you need to realize that the stock 2.8 fuel pump for the Fiero was barely enough for the 2.8 it was meant to work with, let alone a bigger engine or even a power adder for the stock V6.

I have heard that the LT1 corvette fuel pump is a popular choice; but for its price, you can do a lot better.

The Walbro 307 is a popular fuel pump with the Turbo Buick crowd and it is basically a drop in replacement for the Fiero as well. It flows 255 liters per hour @ 70psi which will support up to around 600hp and for $105.00 it is a great deal. You can also use it as a stock replacement for your 2.8 if you are planning on upgrading the engine at a later date. I have personally been running one in my Fiero for over 3 years and have not had a single problem with it. You can purchase it along with an installation kit (for the Buick GN but it will also work with the Fiero) from http://www.precisionte.com or many other popular retailers.

Trust me there is not a stock fuel pump for any GM car that you can buy over the counter that out-flows this thing, I have tested several. And no, the LT1 vette unit doesn't even come close.

The LT4 pump flows just as good and the price is the same if your a member of a Fiero club. Not knocking your pump of choice. I like the LT4 Pump, it works for me. The LT1 pump does not flow as good. I bought the Walbro 307 and LT4 pump and side by side there the same pump. I sent the Walbro back.

------------------
86" TARGET=_blank rel="nofollow">http://www.fiero.mn.org

86 GT, 18" wheels, GA CD brakes, ST brace, Leather, 3800 Supercharged,DVD
88 Formula 5 speed T-Top stock,
88 GT,Leather, T-Top,S1-3800

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 12:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Not knocking your pump of choice; I will agree that the LT4 pump is better than the LT1 unit and is probably pleanty pump for MOST engine swaps, but it is NOT as good as the Walbro 307. You can't just set two pumps side by side on a table and visually see that one is better than the other. The Walbro is a direct drop in replacement for GM cars and it will have the appearance of a stocker but I assure you that it out-flows anything you can buy at autozone or places similar, even the dealer. Does the LT4 pump flow more than 255 liters per hour @ 70psi? I highly doubt it. No flames intended so please don't take it as such, just trying to be clear.
YellowRooster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for YellowRoosterSend a Private Message to YellowRoosterDirect Link to This Post
Is the flow of an AC Delco EP242 comparable. This is the stock fuel pump for a buick Grand National.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
My 96LT1 Vette pump cost about $100 and is a drop in conversion. I dont need to support 600HP so why would I need a 600HP pump? I like to go to any GM parts store and get the over the counter GM pump. If someone wants to run an engine conversion that makes 400HP the Corvette pump is a good pump.

This is a 96LT1 Vette pump on the Fiero sending unit. I changed the Fuel gauge sending unit for my conversion to run the stock 2000 Olds gauge cluster.

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
When I did my 4.9 conversion I replaced my 2.5L fuel pump with a stock 2.8 Fuel pump. It runs great(alittle loud though)and stays strong even while red-lining. I will keep this pump until I have a problem with it.

------------------

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 09:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
There is no difference between LT1 and LT4 pumps. The '96 pump may be different than previous years, but there is only one '96 Vette pump. California Kid believes that the '96 Vette pump and the 2.8 Fiero pump have the same flow rating.

I agree with what has been said above... I don't need a 600 HP pump with a 300 HP engine.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 09:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
Thank for the info, and it is always good to have other sources. the vette pump (25163464) is $85 shipped to your door through gmparts direct. Even cheaper if you know a parts guy and get it at wholesale .works fine for me. you can reuse you Fiero strainer or buy the vette one ( 25121216) which is the same as the Fiero except it has a plastic mesh expander to keep it from collapsing.

------------------
LS1 v8 T-Top 87 GT

[url]http://www.acxunlimited.com/ls1swap.htm [/url]

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-08-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by YellowRooster:

Is the flow of an AC Delco EP242 comparable. This is the stock fuel pump for a buick Grand National.

No, the stock GN pump does not even come close to flowing what the Walbro does. While I have not flowed it myself, countless others have and say that the GN pump is not enough even for the stock GN motor.

I guess if you can get a vette pump for less than $100 and you aren't planning on using a power-adder, then it would probably be a good choice. Since I was not aware that you could get a vette pump that cheap I thought the Walbro would be a great alternative. So let me revise the original post just a bit.

If you plan on running any more power than the stock LT1/LT4 vette put out, or you are running a modded 3800SC, I strongly suggest you use the Walbro unit. While it is true that many stock pumps may be able to equal the pressure of the Walbro, I assure you that they do not equal the volume.

A good way to test if your pump is keeping up with your engine is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine and position it so a friend or you can watch the gauge while driving. If you fuel pressure drops at all during a WOT excursion, it is time to upgrade the FP. If not, then you should be good to go.

California Kid

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
Inside source told me that the stock 2.8 pump puts out the same pressure / volume as the drop in Corvette pump. The only significant difference is that the Corvette pump contained a couple of stainless steel parts (Fiero parts are performance plastic). I've run both pumps in my car without notice of any performance difference. Very low 12 second quarters were with the stock 2.8 pump. I've also run the Hi pressure/volume Holley pump (lasted 1 year and cooked itself) which showed no performance improvements.

Can't speak for the Walbro Unit, and who knows, I might be near the edge from needing an upgrade, but the stock Delco unit does a great job on a 400 Hp FI V8 Engine.

------------------

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The LT4 was rated at 330 HP from the factory, but I've heard it's closer to 350 actual. It was my understanding that an upgraded fuel pump was not necessary, even with a pretty big shot of N2O... I think 500 HP of fuel pump capacity is plenty for a Fiero. Besides, there's so much more testing in an OEM pump for a high end application like the Corvette that it would be hard to have the same level of engineering in an aftermarket pump.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

PFF
System Bot
aaronrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
User Banned

Report this Post11-13-2003 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronrusSend a Private Message to aaronrusDirect Link to This Post
I agree with him on this.. 70 psi is definately nice to have when trying to feed a highly modded 3800SC, they can get pretty fuel hungry when they are at WOT.

Originally posted by Darth Fiero:

No, the stock GN pump does not even come close to flowing what the Walbro does. While I have not flowed it myself, countless others have and say that the GN pump is not enough even for the stock GN motor.

I guess if you can get a vette pump for less than $100 and you aren't planning on using a power-adder, then it would probably be a good choice. Since I was not aware that you could get a vette pump that cheap I thought the Walbro would be a great alternative. So let me revise the original post just a bit.

If you plan on running any more power than the stock LT1/LT4 vette put out, or you are running a modded 3800SC, I strongly suggest you use the Walbro unit. While it is true that many stock pumps may be able to equal the pressure of the Walbro, I assure you that they do not equal the volume.

A good way to test if your pump is keeping up with your engine is to put a fuel pressure gauge on the engine and position it so a friend or you can watch the gauge while driving. If you fuel pressure drops at all during a WOT excursion, it is time to upgrade the FP. If not, then you should be good to go.

Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
You may be correct about the engineering aspect, and I do agree with what you are saying; but I think there is one thing you are forgetting. GM, like any typical company, mass produces vehicles and parts using the cheapest ingredients possible. If your statement were true to the extent I interperiate it to mean; thats like saying that the pistons and connecting rods GM uses in all their engines are second to none. We know this is not the case and who is to say the same does not hold true for fuel pumps. I have tested a few GM fuel pumps personally and can tell you they are barely adequate for the vehicles they were designed to work in.

I think a lot of people are baseing their opinions about stock fuel pumps on assumptions and not facts. I am baseing my presumtions on what I have personally tested and data from 3rd party tests. While I have not tested the stock LT1/LT4 pumps, I can only draw the conclustion that GM would follow the same rule here. I could be wrong. But until someone gets some actual flow numbers on these stock pumps, we will not know for sure if they are "good enough". Until then you are baseing the life of your engine on an assumption. I think $105.00 is a cheap price to pay for piece-of-mind.

Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2003 11:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I've been using the EP242 on every large Injected engine I've built. LT1's, ZZ4's, 430's, Lingenfelter LT1's, etc. & and have never had a failure or complaint yet.

Looks like another answer to a question that was never asked.

This LT1 is using a EP242 & it's doing just fine.

AFAIAC, If it ain't Delco, it don't go.

Archie

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock