Started on: 11-06-2003 03:05 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Master Tuner Akimoto on 11-07-2003 02:07 AM
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 03:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
I pulled these off my parts car. Started cleaning them a bit with some brake cleaner and a scotch-brite pad but ran out of brake cleaner. Anyway, is it OK to use these on my GT without much of an adverse effect cause of the rust? Maybe make a couple of high speed stops to clean them up

------------------

+ a silver 85 2M4 and a gold 87 2M4
--Adam--
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
webbee

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 03:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for webbeeSend a Private Message to webbeeDirect Link to This Post
Rust will come off when you stop in normal driving on a rusted rotor. Is that the best way to do it, no. I would take them to an Autozone, and have the rotors turned. That way you know they aren't out of round and the surface will be nice and smooth for those new pads you are going to install.
Razor_Wing

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Razor_WingSend a Private Message to Razor_WingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by webbee:

Rust will come off when you stop in normal driving on a rusted rotor. Is that the best way to do it, no. I would take them to an Autozone, and have the rotors turned. That way you know they aren't out of round and the surface will be nice and smooth for those new pads you are going to install.

He has a point, but as long as it's not "Deep" rust or anything, just some surface rust, you'll be fine...just don't expect ALOT of breaking power the first 2-3 times...the bad will not have enough efficent grip to stop as well as it usiually would (probly barely noticable though). Have fun! Did you have those crossdrilled, or did you buy them like that?

------------------

www.freewebs.com/fierogti

<>{RazorWing}<>

kidwithan85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kidwithan85GTSend a Private Message to kidwithan85GTDirect Link to This Post
i had the samething with mine. i took some embry cloth, its used to clean copper pipes. take something like liquid wrench to wet the rotor. all u do is rub off the rust and it comes out smooth. when your done with them spray them with some carb and choke cleaner then wip them dry. it will take off the oil from the liquid wrench.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
They make some special pads that fit in the caliper like brake pads. put them on in pairs (fronts or backs) and drive a short distance like big parking lot, around the block. They will grind them off pretty good, then replace them with your new pads. They wont true except for very minor runnout, but they will clean and surface them nicely.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
Its mainly light rust, cars been sitting only since june. The rotors are actually pretty new otherwise.

Razor_Wing, they are the Fiero Store's cross-drilled rotors i pulled from my parts car

BTW, when putting the fronts on, since they are the full hubs too, the nuts that goes on the spindle to lock them in place, do i tighten that mainly hand tight or should i use my impact gun?

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-07-2003 12:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero Store's cross drilled rotors will rust in a heartbeat and look terrible unless you paint them. My rotors look nearly that bad after they have been sitting a few hours after a rainstorm.
Master Tuner Akimoto

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 271
User Banned

Report this Post11-07-2003 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Master Tuner AkimotoClick Here to visit Master Tuner Akimoto's HomePageSend a Private Message to Master Tuner AkimotoDirect Link to This Post
The big nut that holds the wheel bearings should not be too tight apply a little pressure but never an impact gun as this will cause the bearings to bind and seize.

------------------
Tuners of the Quickest 4.9
12.51@118 mph
Soon to be replaced by "New" improved even quicker 4.5 HY/BRID in progress.

[This message has been edited by Master Tuner Akimoto (edited 11-07-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock