Engine compartment light switch by Notorio
Started on: 11-05-2003 07:25 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 2000RagTop on 11-06-2003 11:01 AM
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know where it is on an 87GT and how to defeat it? Is disconnecting the battery the only option?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
It's in the latch itself- there is a small lever by the slot. Pin that lever in the up position or just disconnect the wire going to the bulb
rubyredfiero

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubyredfieroSend a Private Message to rubyredfieroDirect Link to This Post
When I need to work on the car for a long period of time and leave the lid open over nite, I do not want that trunk light on, so here's what I did. I drilled a 1/32" hole thru the housing wall and that small lever (with the lever pushed in the housing) and then use a paper clip to hold the lever in. That keeps the light out for as long as you want. You can even close the trunk lid with the paper clip in. You don't need to go all the way thru with the drill. Just keep it somewhere in the middle of the lever. To close to the edge will force the drill to wonder to the edge of the housing. Just use judgement. I kept it 1/8" from the edge. Good luck.
dguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Am I missing something?

Why not just unplug the decklid's wiring harness near the RH hinge?

[This message has been edited by dguy (edited 11-05-2003).]

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dguy:

Am I missing something?

Why not just unplug the decklid's wiring harness near the RH hinge?

Well, for one reason, if you happen to accidentally lock your keys in the trunk while you're working on the car, the switch on the dash for the remote trunk release will no longer function...

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
if it's only a once-in-a-while thing take out the bulb. if it's something that you want to do all the time put a switch of your choice in line somewhere.
lawrence

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 07:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lawrenceClick Here to visit lawrence's HomePageSend a Private Message to lawrenceDirect Link to This Post
This is the precise reason I sell a trunk light timer. You open the trunk and after about 5 minutes, the light goes off. Close the trunk and the timer automatically resets.

This is a big item with people who show their cars.

-L

------------------

WebElectric Products

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Pull the courtsy lamp fuse, that will kill the trunk lamp, trunk release, interior lighting, power locks and power mirrors. You can then work inside the passenger compartment and the engine compartment without draining the battery and still have power to remaining systems.
Notorio

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotorioSend a Private Message to NotorioDirect Link to This Post
Thank you everyone. Doh! it was right in front of my face all the time.
2000RagTop

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 140
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2000RagTopSend a Private Message to 2000RagTopDirect Link to This Post
Well.........

What I did was installed a rocker type switch in the line of the light. (no pictures)
I pulled the material back out of the rubber molding, engine side, theres a area where the wires run for the truck light....
Just insert a switch in the line, and "wella"
on and off any time you want! cost $2-$3 and about 10 mins of work!

Good Luck,
-Michael

p.s. the pin in the hole, sounds like a good idea also!!

------------------

88GT/Auto/Beechwood Leather/Sun Roof/ Wing/Sub-Woofer/w-EQ/225/45/17 Michelin Pilots/All Opts Ex.T-Tops-Mores Pix https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031475.html

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock