Have I ruined my control arm? by Formula Owner
Started on: 11-03-2003 10:33 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: L67Formula on 11-20-2003 12:48 PM
Formula Owner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
About 13k ago, I replaced the lower ball joints on my Formula. One of them didn't want to seat straight, but it finally went in. The seat may have bent during this. I went to grease the front suspension today, and found this ball joint almost completely slipped out of its seat. Is the control arm ruined? Is there a fix, other than replacing?

Thanks

Billy Moore

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post
You could have the ball joint welded in place; GM did this at the factory when they didn't fit just so...
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 11:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Whuffo:

You could have the ball joint welded in place.

That would work, but first choice is to just replace the arm. If you can't find one local I have a L side one that I will send you for $10 plus shipping. This should be an easy part to locally find though.

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
If you weld it, just tack it in three or four places. That way if it needs to changed again at any time it will be easier to remove.
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

That would work, but first choice is to just replace the arm. If you can't find one local I have a L side one that I will send you for $10 plus shipping. This should be an easy part to locally find though.

Actually, you'd be surprised at how difficult it can be to find an '88 control arm sometimes. I see people looking for them all the time, and I'll say that your price ($10) is the cheapest I've ever seen!

Bryce
88 GT

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I got 2 passenger and 1 drivers. The drivers has a relatively new ball joint welded in.

$10 is very cheap. Mine are $20 plus shipping

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 06:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
How would I remove a welded-in ball joint?

Thanks for the replies.

88GTNeverfinished, how much would shipping be for 1 arm?

Billy

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Well, last night I installed a new ball joint on the off chance that it was the ball joint that was bent instead of the control arm. No luck. It went in too easy. I'm not through working on it, but I would like to move the car to the driveway. Would I damage a new ball joint if I install it with no grease, and move the car to the driveway? Later, I'll move it back to fix it more permanently. The Fiero's the toy car. Keeping the grocery getters running has to come first.
L67Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67FormulaSend a Private Message to L67FormulaDirect Link to This Post
You should be OK just moving the car.

I have recently completed upper and lower ball joints on three 88's. All had the original joints and all the lowers had snap rings. I wondered why a press fit component needed a retention ring. The Moog replacement joints have the groove but did not come with the snap rings. Most of my replacements pressed in snugly but not all. I reused the retaining rings on all. I have more confidence in the tight press fit. I suppose if you have one that's not really snug, the snap ring might keep it from getting crossed up and wallowing out the control arm but if it just flops around to begin with, I would replace the arm.
jp

[This message has been edited by L67Formula (edited 11-05-2003).]

Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula Owner:

How would I remove a welded-in ball joint?

Thanks for the replies.

Billy

A die grinder or similar to grind off the weld spots.

Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I think I like the idea of snap rings better than welding. I don't do welding. I can do snap rings. Last night I inspected the "good" ball joint a little closer, and found that the grease seal is pretty much gone. I'm not impressed with these ball joints. I am favoring replacing them both now. Where can I get ball joints with snap rings?

Billy

[This message has been edited by Formula Owner (edited 11-06-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
L67Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67FormulaSend a Private Message to L67FormulaDirect Link to This Post
I prefer the Moog ball joints and O'Reilly's carries them. They do not come with the snap rings but they do have the groove cut in them where the ring seats. If they can't supply the snap ring, tractor supply, Case (as in backhoe), large truck parts ......places like that will have them.
jp
Formula Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2003 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula OwnerSend a Private Message to Formula OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I got the ball joint back in after trying to deform the seat a little. I also put some Loctite bonding agent, not sure what number. Still, I'm not confident that this will do the job. So I'm looking at removing the control arm next to have it welded. Are there any writeups on removing control arms on an 88? If I'm going to remove one control arm, I might as well remove them all and replace the bushings.

88GTNeverFinished, do you still have the passenger side LCA's?

[This message has been edited by Formula Owner (edited 11-19-2003).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
My 88 lower ball joints have the groove cut in them and also include the snap ring.

I also have them at the lowest price you will find anywhere.

------------------
PLEASE NOTE MY NEW ADDRESS

Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
www.rodneydickman.com
New address and phone number after June 20,2003:

Rodney Dickman's Fiero acc's
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
(262) 835-9575

Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodney:

My 88 lower ball joints have the groove cut in them and also include the snap ring.

The ones on my 88 have the snap rings also !

I also have them at the lowest price you will find anywhere.

Thats a Fact !!! I was checking it out a while back, will be purchasing some from Rodney after X-mas.

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Formula Owner:

About 13k ago, I replaced the lower ball joints on my Formula. One of them didn't want to seat straight, but it finally went in. The seat may have bent during this. I went to grease the front suspension today, and found this ball joint almost completely slipped out of its seat. Is the control arm ruined? Is there a fix, other than replacing?

Thanks

Billy Moore

Yea, get Rodney's. AutoZone rents a tool to install the ball joints. It is a large C-clamp that will remove and install pressed in ball joints. Having said that, I have compressed air and a big honking impact wrench, which makes the job a lot easier.
Short of that, you can take control arm to almost any automotive machine shop and have the old joints pressed out and new ones pressed in. I prolly would have done that if I didn't have the air tools.....Paul

L67Formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for L67FormulaSend a Private Message to L67FormulaDirect Link to This Post
NOBRAINER!!

My advice is to always buy from Rodney. If I need more, that's where I'll get them.
jp

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock