sun roof by spyro
Started on: 11-03-2003 01:42 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: spyro on 11-20-2003 01:22 PM
spyro

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spyroClick Here to Email spyroSend a Private Message to spyroDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased an '85 GT. The previous owner caulked the sun
roof shut because it was leaking. I cut it open, cleaned everything
up and installed new weatherstripping. The glass didn't seem to close
tightly so I checked out the rear mount. The nuts were loose so I
tried to tighten them. When nothing happened. I realized that the
bolts were turning too. I can't get to the top of the bolts from
inside. Anyone know of a way I can tighten them without taking the
roof off?
John Antonucci
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 03:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Sure...Have some one else take it off LOL...Sorry couldnt resist. my 88 goes it with a couple lock tabs so my question wich bolt are you refering too.
spyro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spyroClick Here to Email spyroSend a Private Message to spyroDirect Link to This Post
It's the bolts that hold on the plate that the locking tabs are connected to.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guyClick Here to Email Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like someone did a roof conversion on the car. Check for AD3 on your RPO tag. If that is the case I'm trashing a sunroof top this week (I hope), send me you address and I will send those to you. Also, do you have a plastic spacer up there?

[This message has been edited by Indiana_resto_guy (edited 11-04-2003).]

sire elroy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-05-2003 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sire elroyClick Here to Email sire elroySend a Private Message to sire elroyDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get a new weather strip for the sun roof

both of my 2 fiero's sun roofs leak ( they have the spacer on them

spyro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spyroClick Here to Email spyroSend a Private Message to spyroDirect Link to This Post
I got mine at the Fiero Store but later found out it's cheaper at GMPartsDirect.com. The sunroof weatherstrip p/n is 20528472. It was easy to replace. Make sure you have the drain holes called out in the service bulletin. Go to http://www.kichline.com/chuck/fiero/sunroof/ for pictures.
spyro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 07:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for spyroClick Here to Email spyroSend a Private Message to spyroDirect Link to This Post
I checked and it has code AD3 on the build sheet and a plastic spacer between the plate and the roof. Replys to posts on other boards have suggested using JBWeld on the bolts, but I can't figure out how I could do that, since I can't get the nuts off, even using Vise-Grip pliers. There doesn't seem to be any top access to the bolt heads.
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-06-2003 08:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guyClick Here to Email Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
If the nuts won't tighten up for you the clips must be broken.
Order these, GM# 20153159, they are are shorter than stock, but GM says they will work.
You could use a threaded nut plate and a bolt from the inside too for additional spacers.
spyro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2003 01:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spyroClick Here to Email spyroSend a Private Message to spyroDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure where the clips are, but I shoved a 1/8" shim between the latch plate and roof and it fixed the problem.
Thanks for the suggestions.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock