Chevette steering rack by blazin'
Started on: 11-03-2003 08:42 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: blazin' on 11-04-2003 02:49 PM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Just pondering.... Will a Chevette steering rack work in a Fiero?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
I don't know if it is a direct bolt-in but I doubt it. It is probaly close because some are using it to convert to power steering. Maybe someone will chime in and fill in the rest of the details.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Judged "Best Custom Interior" at the 20th Anniversary Show - 7/2003

tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
Do a search. No one has identified a rack that will drop in. The Chevette rack is too short, but can be made to work, as Lambo kit builders do it occasionally. The Merkur XR4TI rack is not a drop-in, either. It requires TONS of rework to get it in the car. I am curious about the C4 Corvette rack. I have not had time to look into it, but it may be the correct length.

------------------

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I may be mistaken, but I thought that Fiero used an off-the-shelf Chevette rack to start with.......?

also thought rear suspension is all off-the-shelf Citation 'front' minus the rack? The tie rod ends are just bolted to the frame.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 11-03-2003).]

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Chevette is narrower than the Fiero; hence the rack is shorter.

wcapman is working on swapping in a Chevette power rack.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

Msaby

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MsabySend a Private Message to MsabyDirect Link to This Post
I have the rack already installed. Very simple to do. You must carefully cut the mounts off the crossmember. You will be re-using the left side one. Find the center of the old rack and mark it on the crossmember. Then find the center of the chevette rack align your marks and that is where the rack needs to be mounted. I bolted the mount to the rack and held it in place to be welded. The right side mount must be fabricated unless you can want to find a chevette to cut the mount off of. i fabricated mine. About $5 worth of metal. weld it all together. The rack is shorter so you need a set of tie-rod extensions from Held or you can fabricated your own. The last piece you need to make the rack work is a Universal joint from Flaming RIver (expensive).

Prices
Rack from Autozone $120
Tie-rod ext $20
Univeral joint $130
Metal to fab mount $10

Thanks
Mike

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-04-2003 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies ppl.

The reason I asked is because the new house I moved into has an old Chevette sitting down in the woods.

After looking at the rack, I noticed how similar looking it is to that of the Fiero. Seeing this just got me wondering.

I don't plan on rigging up the Chevette rack for my car, I've got a few Fiero racks poking around here somewhere.

Thanks for the info!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock