Can this damage an ECM?? :( by DreXteR
Started on: 11-01-2003 06:00 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: DreXteR on 11-02-2003 09:42 PM
DreXteR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 06:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
Well, I was tracing some codes in the ECM. In one of those times I forgot to take out the diagnostic jumper wire. Crank it a lil, notice it didnt turn on, then shut it off take the wire out and start it again. The engine started but now the engine is flooded. My A/F ratio gauge marks rich and whe I step on the gas black smoke screen appears.

By crankning the engine with the diagnostic wire in place can damage the ECM???

BTW, my engine is a 3.4DOHC. Dont know if the ECM is more suseptible than the OEM ECM of the Fiero.

Thanx
DreX

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
NINJAX

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NINJAXSend a Private Message to NINJAXDirect Link to This Post
If you dosconnected the power alltogether it could have wiped out the ecm's memory. if thats the case it needs to re-learn its parameters.
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
No, that wouldn't damage it. Even on the outputs you have to do some pretty diabolical things to hurt them.

The 9396/6401 is even more well protected. Something else is up or it was divine intervention and the ECM did a belly-up. I really doubt it.

Even if the ECM was cleared from disconnecting the battery it shouldn't blow black. Rich on a cold start up, yes, but not black unless it's just clearing the excess gas from the engine. That should only last a fw seconds. You knocked something loose somewhere.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 11-01-2003).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Nope.....you're lucky....you didn't hurt a thing by doing that.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
UFFF!!!! I feel more relief now.

Thanx guys.

DreX

[This message has been edited by DreXteR (edited 11-02-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock