Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  86GT V8 Swap To Much For "Mechanic In Training"?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

86GT V8 Swap To Much For "Mechanic In Training"? by V8Guy427
Started on: 10-31-2003 09:51 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: rogergarrison on 11-01-2003 08:43 AM
V8Guy427

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for V8Guy427Send a Private Message to V8Guy427Direct Link to This Post
I finally got a 86 GT and plan on doin a v8 swap (going to build the engine over the next 3 months and get archie's kit in early spring) I'm not stupid when it comes to engines, I'm extremely mechanicly book smart but dont have alot of hours hands on, ive replaced heads and done some work on the top half of SBC but never actually pulled an engine, I have all the basic tools and friends that are mechanics, should I jump into this? I know its alot of work but I am very willing and dedicated to stick with it to the end.

Also if archie is reading this, could I order the deluxe kit plus Clutch/Radiator Ect And Also Buy All the Necc. Bolts and little items needed from you for an extra fee of course even though there not included with the deluxe kit?, thanks alot guys.

-Chris

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
just about anyone can do it.

------------------
Buddy - there are two "G"s in my name
Ling = 84SE-350-N2O-Poly-Mr.Mike seats-Sequential turn signals-short shifter
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG
got a broken stud?
car doesn't crank over?

sc3800ttops

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 07:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sc3800ttopsSend a Private Message to sc3800ttopsDirect Link to This Post
For me an engine swap is easy, getting it to run.... another story
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Just brush up on your welding and you shouldn't have any problems. The Archie kit does require a bit of welding for attaching some of the engine brackets to the craddle. Archie did a write up on a complete install, do a search for it.
GKDINC

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GKDINCSend a Private Message to GKDINCDirect Link to This Post
If you have the time and space, sounds like you are plenty capable of doing the work. Get the video with the kit and go for it. Gary Good Luck
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-01-2003 08:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id save buying the radiator for a later time. You probably wont need it. As I said quite a few times, my 383 stroker w/auto ran fine all summer with the OEM Fiero and Archies tooth belt drive water pump.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock