ATTN Garrison and paint folk by Darren's 87 coupe
Started on: 10-31-2003 02:45 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: hotoz on 11-03-2003 07:51 PM
Darren's 87 coupe

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post
What is exactly meant by Flash time? I read about it, but never see what they mean by it.
Thanks
Darren
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ezramore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
This is kind of the text book definition.

Time which must be allowed after the application of a paint film before baking in order that the initial solvents are released, which prevents bubbling.

Just leave it in the paint booth for a little while to set.

Darren's 87 coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 05:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post

What do you mean by a little while? An hour? ten minutes? and when baking, how long and how hot? Thanks for any answers.
Darren
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Usually 15 minutes to half an hour.
It depends on temprature and the amount of reducer used. That is if your painting from non aersol and type of material, if using a bomb about 15 minutes is good unless it is cooler than 60 - 65*, then wait longer and don't go with any heavy or wet coats to avoid sagging.

That help?

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
Flash time should be on the label of the product you are spraying. Basically, it's the amount of time that you rpaint or primer needs to adhere to the old surface and allow the next layer to be applied without adverse effects....like runs or sagging in the paint. It allows the layer af material to set up properly. It varys with primer, paint, and clear.

If you don't have the flash times listed for your products, use other brands then. Go to a auto paint supply store and they will give you in-depth reading material soyou can fully understand what each part of the process is for and why you are doing it. You'll have the proper mixing ratios for each step of the painting process, with variations for temperature or thickness of material. It's well worth the time to look into it and understand why things are done. And, the information from the counter guys is usually invaluable. Stop in at a paint store and talk to the people there. You won't regret it. Here in Milwaukee, I deal with a PPG distributor called Milwaukee Paint/Allis Supply and the guys will walk you through every step, and will also explain what they themselves have done over the years. These guys are paint experts, and have been painting for years. It's nice to have a pro to talk with when you have questions.

Mark the paint guy
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
I agree with foxfire. After you have spent hours apon days preping you dont want to take chances with mistakes. Also a good thing to remember thinking of my first paint job. keep any silicone based product far away from the paint area. Fish eyes can seem almost impossible to get rid of. Good Luck.....
Darren's 87 coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 02:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darren's 87 coupeSend a Private Message to Darren's 87 coupeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all of that advice. I think you gave me the answer I was looking for.
Darren
hotoz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-03-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hotozSend a Private Message to hotozDirect Link to This Post
you didnt mention the paint type you are using,acrylic laquer flashoff can be as little as 5 mins ,more for enamel type paints

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock