Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  what companies make Hi-performance struts for a fiero?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

what companies make Hi-performance struts for a fiero? by RockChip
Started on: 10-29-2003 09:07 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: MinnGreenGT on 10-31-2003 12:39 PM
RockChip

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockChipSend a Private Message to RockChipDirect Link to This Post
I need new struts but I don't want to just buy regular struts I want something with the smaller diameter spring like a coil over kit(so I can fit wider tires) and I want adjustable ride hieght and stiffness. I like stiff suspension and I plan on doing alot of autocrossing next year. I started looking around, but my local part stores are having some trouble finding performance struts for the fiero with out some brand name to look under. I would like to know what companys make performance struts and what the part numbers are, even if they don't have all the features I mentioned I would like to get some prices so I can decide what I can afford. I would also like to know if the same company makes matching front shocks.

Thanks

------------------
'86 Fiero GT 4spd, aluminum head 3.1, vented rear brakes, K&N filter and custom intake piping, Cavalier seats, Celica GTS Rims-got a T3 turbo just need some time
'69 AMC Ambassador sst 2dr hardtop 390ci 3 spd B&m shift kit(315hp/427ftlbs)
'82 Yamaha Heritage Special 400cc 6 spd, hi-flo exhaust and air filters-For Sale to buy more Fiero stuff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 01:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
I believe Koni's have both shock's and struts, and they are adjustable. Not sure on the price or part number though. Held Motorsports also makes some, but they are much more expensive....Then for some regular shocks and struts I believe there is KYB....I forget all the others.
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 03:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
since you are in mod anyways pip that ride out Lets see if we have same times bets?? Check with Velocity tuning they might have something. Thats where my friend got his coil overs for his tegra.

[This message has been edited by red85gt (edited 10-30-2003).]

Dslice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DsliceSend a Private Message to DsliceDirect Link to This Post
I have the KYB's that came with my coil overs from Heldmotorsports.com. These have been great.

------------------
Rick D

86GT
84COUP

http://fierodriver.zymdragon.com

"Power steering is for girls."

Kwez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KwezClick Here to visit Kwez's HomePageSend a Private Message to KwezDirect Link to This Post
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2003 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
KYB and Koni both make struts for the fiero.

I do not recommend the KYBs for autocross. Konis are great.

Shox.com and Tirerack both have great prices.

RockChip

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockChipSend a Private Message to RockChipDirect Link to This Post
I would like to get the koni's but I can't afford them, a set of KYB is already $530 can. plus $500 can. for the coil over kit. I won't be able to buy both right now so I think I'll get the KYB's and cut my springs a little for now. As long as the KYB's are actualy better than Monroes, are they? I only auto cross for fun so I'm not worried about being the best out there, but I would like to be able to push my car harder than I can right now.

thanks for the reply's.

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
www.shox.com has a full set of Konis for a little over $500 US.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i have KYB's on my daily driver, and KYB's on my V8 car, if i EVER need to replace shocks/struts on a fiero again i wil get the Koni's

Koni's are the SHIIT!!!!

------------------
Rich AIM one fast 2m8
WTB: 3.32 OR 3.65 4 speed tranny
'92 325i-- X-brace, eibach pro-kit, bilstein sport, S.T. brace, borla cat back,
'86 Fiero 2M8 ,350 bored .030 over,World Products s/r Torquers-ported, Manley valves, Weiand X-CELerator, edelbrock 750cfm.carb hypereutectic pistons, 1.5 rollers,lumpy cam, sanderson cc90's,2-1/4" exhaust4:10 tranny, Spec stage 3copper puck clutch, adj.Koni's, Eibach's,polly, tons more...
'86 Fiero 2m6, 2-1/4 inch drop, KYB's, ocelot exhaust, No cat.

Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post10-30-2003 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
I have KYBs. I autocross. and I'm not happy with them. If you weren't in canada, I'd offer to sell you mine. The GR-2s in the rear are not valved stiff enough. It makes it a very difficult car to drive fast.

If I were you, I'd buy the front konis now since they're cheaper and you don't need to do an alignment when you replace them. Wait till I could afford to do the rear. And do the springs last. I wouldn't ever run cut springs, but that's getting off topic.

I've never driven on Monroes so I can't help you there.

Anything is going to be better then OEM.

Originally posted by RockChip:

I would like to get the koni's but I can't afford them, a set of KYB is already $530 can. plus $500 can. for the coil over kit. I won't be able to buy both right now so I think I'll get the KYB's and cut my springs a little for now. As long as the KYB's are actualy better than Monroes, are they? I only auto cross for fun so I'm not worried about being the best out there, but I would like to be able to push my car harder than I can right now.

thanks for the reply's.

PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm running Koni Adjustables all the way around with Coilovers in the rear... and the adjustability is awesome. I didn't have a chance to adjust the fronts before running at Waterford hills, but I did crank down the rears - and the car stuck like I couldn't believe (especially considering that I was running cheap street tires).

Yes, they're expensive... but you really do get what you pay for - and in this case performance is expensive

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock