Help with getrag tranny swap by Comealongway
Started on: 10-29-2003 10:45 AM
Replies: 15
Last post by: sanderson on 10-30-2003 09:21 PM
Comealongway

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
I am installing a 90 beretta GTZ 2.3 HO quad 4 in my car, i was told that in order to get it mounted you have to first bolt up the tranny and then weld the engine in place. I was planning on using rodney dickmans getrag conversion but i'm still confused about how much work is involved in the swap. I have an 85 coupe with the isuzu tranny and on rodneys site it says you need the getrag transmission mounts. Do i need to get a later cradle (ie 86-88) or can i get these mounts and bolt them up then bolt up the quad 4.

I have kept the quad engine and tranny together for this occasion.

I would also like to ask if anyone can tell me all the parts i need to purchase from rodney for the swap.

Thank you very much, i'm a little depressed because it is snowing like mad here and i can no longer drive my baby so time to do something useful with it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Do you have a Getrag bolted to the HO?

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Yes i have the getrag from the quad 4, i just pulled it out as one piece (engine and tranny) from the beretta i have never cracked it open.
cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I haven't heard of welding the engine in place. I am not experianced in the swap, but did you read over Rodney's getrag info? http://www.rodneydickman.com/GetragArticle.htm
there is good info there that may help.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

[This message has been edited by cjgable (edited 10-29-2003).]

aaron88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
I think you would be better off asking Rodney about this but off the top of my head, for my conversion from auto to non-Fiero getrag I needed:
Front transmission mount
Rear transmission mount
Cast iron clutch lever
Front wheel drive conversion Kit
Clutch slave and shift cable bracket
Select cable bracket
Selector cable
Shift cable
It all adds up to big bucks. But I think it's still worth it.
Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Yes i read over rodney dickmans stuff but i still don't know what i need or whether i need to get a new cradle or what. Or what parts to purchase from dickman.

Sorry not welding the engine in place but rather welding brackets to addapt the new engine mounts (new being the stock quad 4 mounts)

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Ok thanks, is there any other opinions,

Front transmission mount (fiero getrag)
Rear transmission mount (fiero Getrag)
Cast iron clutch lever (fiero getrag)

Front wheel drive conversion Kit (rodney)

Clutch slave and shift cable bracket (unknown can i use this one) http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

Select cable bracket (rodney)

Selector cable----
Shift cable------(fiero, can be purchased from rodney though)

Just trying to confirm what i need. Thanks

cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I'd love to help, you may email Rodney directly. BTW his Getrag tranny mounts and shift kits are excellent quality. The brackets are so much thicker than the stock mounts which tear.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
I did email Rodney however im hoping to learn of any alturnatives to purchasing from rodney, only becasue i live in canada and am very impatient for shipping. I've been waiting 2 months for my stage 2 scoops from fieroshop.com.au.
cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
Rodney is very quick shipping. Though I am in the states, I usually get my orders in 2-3 days.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have anything to add about this conversion, ie. a part list that doesn't include an auto to manuel tranny, are there any part i can use that i have already either from the 85 duke or the beretta.
PFF
System Bot
aaron88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaron88Send a Private Message to aaron88Direct Link to This Post
You should need all the same components as an auto to manual swap, because as far as I know, non of the quad 4 brackets are interchangeable.

You can also add onto that list a clutch slave.

You could save yourself a lot of money if you could get you hands on a fiero getrag transmission and simply reverse engineer the brackets and make you own.

Also, I see no reason why you couldnít use your 85 engine cradle, unless itís too rusted.

Aaron

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonClick Here to Email sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
Comealongway,

You need Rodney Getrag brackets; $38 for front and $45 for rear. There are unconfirmed rumors that the Izuzu brackets can be modified to fit.

It's possible to build your own shift mechanism to save the Izuzu cables but there is a fair amount of cutting and welding involved. Without it you need the following from Rodney :

Getrag Shift and select cables - $268
FWD conversion kit w/o select cable bracket - $90
Shift cable bracket (w/o slave attachment) - $75

Rodney likes to use the Fiero slave cylinder to use it you will need his slave adapter - $65.

Others say it is possible to use the Quad 4 slave. I went that route but I have about $50 tied up in hose and tubing to create a bleed valve for the slave. As yet this is untested. The standard Quad 4 slave has no bleeder as the line to the master is short and you can bleed the line back to the master reservior by depressing the slave plunger.

Hope this helps

Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post
Ok on top of that what do i need from a GEtrag Fiero, just the slave cylinder?
Comealongway

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ComealongwayClick Here to Email ComealongwaySend a Private Message to ComealongwayDirect Link to This Post

The FWD conversion w/o select calbe bracket costs $75 but with is $90 did you mean without of is it a typo .

And the only thing that comes up as a value of $75 conserning the shift cable bracket

is Slave and Shift Bracket http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonClick Here to Email sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Comealongway:

The FWD conversion w/o select calbe bracket costs $75 but with is $90 did you mean without of is it a typo .

And the only thing that comes up as a value of $75 conserning the shift cable bracket

is Slave and Shift Bracket http://www.rodneydickman.com/retail.html

That was a typo on the FWD conversion kit. You need it w/ the select bracket. On the shift cable bracket when I talked to Rodney he said he had a shift cable bracket without the slave bracket. I didn't see it listed but assumed it was the same price or close - $75. The slave will mount to Rodney slave adapter. Just to be sure on everything I'd give Rodney a call and make sure before ordering.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock