Removing gas tank by Don Vellenga
Started on: 10-28-2003 04:53 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: DZ on 11-02-2003 05:26 PM
Don Vellenga

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 04:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Don VellengaSend a Private Message to Don VellengaDirect Link to This Post
Hi,

I need a "real world" procedure/process for removing the gas tank so I can R and R the fuel pump and new fuel hoses. I trust the list members over the factory manual.

All the best to the list,

Don

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I did this in the summer,it was a big pain.

Lift the car as high as you can, the higher the better. Once your on your back there isn't much room to work with. If its possible, drive the car until the tank is empty. It was not possible for me, the car didn't want to run so I took the fuel line off upstream of the filter connected a rubber hose to the line and jumpered the fuel pump relay, it worked slick.

Next you need to disconnect all the rubber hoses going to the tank. This is the tough part, there really isn't alotof room in there. For dropping the tank, if its empty its not bad, but if it has some fuel left in it you will need 2 people to drop it. There are 2 metal straps and a cross brace holding it in.

Its not a hard thing to do, the rubber hoses can be a pain to disconnect but once your under there its easy to see what needs to be done.

Be sure to depressure the fuel system like the manual says. Pull the fuel pump fuse and crank over the car. It should get rid of most of the pressure.

Good luck!

------------------
86SE 5 speed
85GT 4.9 isuzu 5 speed
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/027839.html

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
major pain in the ass.
getting the hoses off the tank and fuel lines is tough. Putting them back on isnt much easier. I used a lubricant.

I had to cut the two straps off the car to get the tank out.(the bolts were rusted in)
I rigged up some galvanized strap to use for now. Fierostore is working on new replacement straps.

Changing the pump is the easiest part.

Good luck.

Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Changed from a 4cyl. tank to a V6 tank for my 4.9 swap. Had the V6 tank ready to go with the corvette pump in place, so it was just remove and replace. Figure about an afternoon to do it right..

Dragon1/Brian

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
want to R&R fuel tank with pictures? click link in my sig.

------------------
'84 2m4 se, a work in progress http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fuelpump.htm

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 10-28-2003).]

Slater_334

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slater_334Send a Private Message to Slater_334Direct Link to This Post
is the v6 tank a 12gal? and if so is it possible to put it in an 85?

------------------

ray b

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 325
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ray bSend a Private Message to ray bDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Slater_334:

is the v6 tank a 12gal? and if so is it possible to put it in an 85?

87 and 88 tanks are bigger both 4 and v6
v6 tank has higher pressure pump

no they donot bolt in eazy to earlyer cars

------------------
Question wonder and be wierd
are you kind?

FieroMojo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 99
Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroMojoSend a Private Message to FieroMojoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/040583.html

Yea... what he said. Got some really great advice in that thread. Best of luck to ya.

dead2.8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dead2.8Click Here to visit dead2.8's HomePageSend a Private Message to dead2.8Direct Link to This Post
its easy....lol.... jack it up, jack stands, remove bracket, losten 2 nuts on drivers side slowly (not all the way), remove ruber hoses, place jack under middle of tank, now remove same 2 nuts, lower slowly!!! disconect electrical, take it out from under the car remove the I wana call it a ring nut (I dunno all terms) with flat head and hammer, remove sending unit/pump remove pump and in tanke filter, replace small rubber hose and plastic clamps (autozone suplies the small rubber hose and clamps in fuel pump kit, but not in tank filter must buy to keep warranty), install new parts follow the directions backwards to reinstall be shure to check out of tanke hoses for bad hoses!!!!
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 10:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Did mine a couple days ago, It was a pain but it took me about 4 hours all together. Make sure to inspect the screen while your in there I went ahead and changed mine with the pump. Be sure to have some wd-40 near by for the straps. I got a couple new scars trying to get them off.
PFF
System Bot
bryson

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for brysonSend a Private Message to brysonDirect Link to This Post
I didn't think it was too difficult, except for the first little bit that the front of the car wasn't on jackstands and I was smooshin myself against the fuel tank on a creeper. I might have had an easier time than many of you because it looked liek my hoses were fairly new -- since parts of the hard fuel line were patched with rubber I'm guessing some work might have been done. Anyway, I would reccomend painting the whole tank with POR15. I had some left over from my cradle and it worked great. I saw a little rust and got really worried because my friend accidentally poked a hole in the side of his mega-rusty tank and had to get a new one (it was needed anyway). One thing I didn't see mentioned was the brackets for the hoses that run beside the tank. If you loosen those (7mm), you can pull them out of the way to drop the tank. Hope this helps!
--Bryson

------------------
88 Fiero GT Quad4 Turbo...It has begun
88 VW GTI 16v ($300 driver/autox MACHINE!)
90 Olds Calais International H.O. (donor car)
88 Fiero Formula (parts car)

1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
I dropped mine while I was taking out the cradle. Was a breeze for me. Perhaps because of how high the car was up in the garage.

Best wishes.

John

Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 02:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I drove the front up on ramps and jacked up the rear. It took Coyote about 20 minutes to remove and re-install the tank. (It was 1/2 full) It did take 45 minutes to change the fuel pump. The new one required a different connector that 90% of the auto parts stores said were special order. We located an AC Delco pump that came with the connector and bought a new tank screen. So 20 minutes of work and 45 minutes of running around.
The hardest part was putting the hoses back on due to limited room. If you know someone with small hands, It would help.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Its just one d@mn hose that makes it so difficult!! I had all the bolts loosened up and everything was looking good; the first 4 hoses came off with no trouble, but its this last one that seems to head up towards the engine compartment that I just can't reach. Aaarrrghh!! This car may be sitting up on jackstands all week until I can muster myself to trying that hose again.

Update: Finally got that last hose. Swapping the pumps really is the easy part.

[This message has been edited by css9450 (edited 11-02-2003).]

DZ

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-02-2003 05:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DZSend a Private Message to DZDirect Link to This Post
Easy way is cut the old hoses, they are rotten anyway. once tank is out it is easy to put on new hoses. Put the new hoses on the tank while it is out, make the connections to the filter and over flow, it is much easier, than making connections at the tank end. Put petroleum jelly on inside of hoses, and they slip right. I have changed out about 10 tanks. I aways put in a new pump and lines whenever I have the cradle out.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock