88 fiero cold symptoms by ezramore
Started on: 10-27-2003 05:27 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: ezramore on 10-31-2003 09:50 AM
ezramore

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
I a mint condition 88 2m4 with 90000 miles that has a very interesting problem.
When I first start it there is a minor pulse in the idle. When i give it a little rev it clears and idles fine but stalls when i put it in gear. After about 2 or 3 attempts it will eventually start rolling and run like a new car. when i shut it off and restart it has the same problem all over again. It doesnt matter if its off for 5 min or 5 hours the symptoms are the same. I already replaced the Map, IAC, TCC, Cat, PCV,O2, TPS, Spark control mod, air filter, plugs, vacuume lines, and there are no errors in the trouble codes. I even cleaned the fuel injector and experimented with different fuels and octane boosters. any ideas?

------------------
Ezra

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MorpheusGPR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 05:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MorpheusGPRSend a Private Message to MorpheusGPRDirect Link to This Post
Fuel Filter?
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Tried the fuel filter Still no good.
rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 05:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
Fuel pump. I had the same symtoms a few years ago. Fuel pressure tested fine at 14 lbs., at least when the guage was on it. Decided to do the fuel pump anyway and boom. problem solved.
Racingman24

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2003 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Another thing you might want to check is the Temp sensor. There are two of them, so make sure you get the right one. it faces the back of the engine compartment. The sending unit for the guage points up if memory serves correctly.

But if the comp thinks the engine is warmer than it really is, then it will give it less gas. The part is like 30 bucks or something. Maybe you want to try that before a fuel pump. Not sure if it would solve the problem or not, but it might and it would be a lot cheaper and easier than a FP

-Eric

------------------
88 Coupe, Duke I4, 5 Speed

ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2003 09:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
changed the fuel pump last night and it started right up this morning, It idled a little erratic wich was one of the symptoms but it did not stall. Thanks for all the help. like someone said it measured out at 14.5 pounds but I went ahead and changed it. I will post an update in a day or so. thanks again.
rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
Glad you got it running. If by erratic idle you mean a 300 RPM or so hunt up and down, check the o-rings on the injector. I fought that problem for a long time before I pulled the injector and found the lower o-ring was missing. Fuel was oozing past the body of the injector and dripping into the throttle body. Drip, +300 RPM. Computer tries to get back to idle with the richer mixture. -300 RPM. Drove me (and probably the computer) nuts.
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2003 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Thats exactly what i mean rube. Can you buy the o ring seperate or do i have to replace the whole injector. Also has any one had problems with the fiero being cold blooded. Mine hates the mornings.
rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
Only way I know of to get the o-rings is to buy an injector. You might try to find generic o-rings at your local auto supply, just bring the old ones with you. But since an injector is only about $25 I think I'd just go ahead and get it. My 88 duke still bobbles around a little at idle, nature of the beast.
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-30-2003 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
I was quoted 99 dollars at pep boys for a new injector. i like 25 much better where did you find that.
rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
Autozone $42.95. OK. So it's a little more than $25.
PFF
System Bot
Larry Nakamura

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 05:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larry NakamuraSend a Private Message to Larry NakamuraDirect Link to This Post
I just bought O rings for the injectors on
my 88 GT from NAPA Auto. They were $1.65 for
ezramore

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-31-2003 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ezramoreSend a Private Message to ezramoreDirect Link to This Post
Cool ill check it out there isnt an autozone for miles around here but ill just do a little online shopping.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock