Radiator fan not working by FieroGT86
Started on: 10-23-2003 04:12 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: DPWood on 10-23-2003 10:45 PM
FieroGT86

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT86Send a Private Message to FieroGT86Direct Link to This Post
My radiator fan wont spin! The headlights and blinkers in the front work. However the parking lights will not light up, which is wierd since the blinkers work, hmm. The fuse under the dash is good and the motor is also good. I dont really know what else to mess with, I debated just running a wire strait from the fuse box under the dash and put a manual switch to turn the fan on and off with but Im not sure I want to do that. Any ideas on what the problem could be?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dslice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DsliceSend a Private Message to DsliceDirect Link to This Post
First I'd check the fan relay, which, I believe is located on the left side radiator support, mine is, on my 84. There is also a sensor like switch located on the engine block, different location depending on engine type, that would be my second guess. If I remember correctly neighter part is expensive, My 1984 fiero had this problem and it was the relay.

------------------
Rick D

86GT
84COUP

http://fierodriver.zymdragon.com

"Power steering is for girls."

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
reasons why it dont work: bad fan, bad temp switch, bad relay, or corroded wiring/connector
couple things to try -
run power (12v dc) to the fan, see if the fan actually works
get the car up to temp where the fan comes on, about 1/2 on the guage (or if you have A/C, just turn on the A/C), and then check if theres 12 volts at the connector
FieroGT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT86Send a Private Message to FieroGT86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

reasons why it dont work: bad fan, bad temp switch, bad relay, or corroded wiring/connector
couple things to try -
run power (12v dc) to the fan, see if the fan actually works
get the car up to temp where the fan comes on, about 1/2 on the guage (or if you have A/C, just turn on the A/C), and then check if theres 12 volts at the connector

I already tested the motor which is fine, Im not getting power to the connector. So would that be the relay? Im guessing the relay is that little box right near the drivers side headlight.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
the relay, the temp switch, or corroded wiring.
my didnt work for the longest time, and it turned out to be the connector at the fan was crusty.
not sure where the relay is. the temp switch is on the intake manifold.
EMFORCE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 05:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for EMFORCESend a Private Message to EMFORCEDirect Link to This Post
In my previous Fiero I did just what you said.
Ran wiring from the fuse block to the fan, with a rocker switch installed on the right side of the gauge cluster (in one of those black plastic covers). It seemed to work well, and I would turn the fan on when stuck in traffic in the hot Saint Louis summers (and when going through the emmission nazi testing).

------------------
EMFORCE
'88 Formula (Silver)
3.4 L, 5-speed
Performance tires/wheels, sound system, electrics, exhaust, etc. (man I NEED new seats!!)

FieroGT86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGT86Send a Private Message to FieroGT86Direct Link to This Post
Hey EMFORCE did you ever have a problem with anything having the fan plugged directly into the fuse box?

Replaced connector with a known good one I had lying around and still no go, I think im just gonna wire directly to the fuse box.

Anyone know how much a relay would cost??

DPWood

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DPWoodClick Here to visit DPWood's HomePageSend a Private Message to DPWoodDirect Link to This Post
There's a wireing connector right beside the gas pedal. The wire you want to splice into is green with a white stripe. Wire it to a toggle switch and ground the opposite side. It will operate the fan only while the key is in the on/accy position.

I just double checked how I had this done on my car for someone else

David

------------------
His Fiero: 1984 2M4 Coupe

Her Fiero: 1984 2M4 Convertible

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay