Started on: 10-23-2003 01:27 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: JazzMan on 10-23-2003 10:32 PM
Smoooooth GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
What's the best way to set the timing on a 2.8L WITHOUT a timing light...??
I am getting a code 32 and I think it might be because of the timing being off.. When I installed this dist. I just set the timing so it would run ok..??
Which way do I turn to advance it...??

Bodywork = YES!!
Mechanical stuff = NO!!

------------------
PostWhore of PFF!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
You'll never get it right without a light. If you don't have one borrow or rent one. Otherwise you will just chaise your tail and still not know if you got it.
Adrift

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 02:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AdriftClick Here to visit Adrift's HomePageSend a Private Message to AdriftDirect Link to This Post
they cost like $25 at walmart!
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 11:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Do yourself a favour.

Check your vacuum lines very carefully.

I have the same problem, the car was re-timed, and the EGR replaced. Same problem. The engine light comes on after 10 minutes ont the freeway. I now have to check the whole vacuum system and I am taking off the upper plenum to do it.

Of course the car comes off the road next week and I am doing alot more than the vacuum lines over the winter.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2003 12:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:

What's the best way to set the timing on a 2.8L WITHOUT a timing light...??

Hold on there, it can be done.

About 5 years ago when overhauling my '86SE, I bought a new harmonic balancer from the FieroStore. After installing it and setting the #1 cylinder to TDC, the marks didn't line up. A quick call to Smitty revealled that they should have included a conversion scale for the timing mark, but didn't. Smitty just said "S##T, oh S##T" and that was all I ever got out of them.

So, if you will carefully set your engine to TDC...do it as carefully as you can...and start it...let it warm up a bit and put it into aldl mode....then you should be able to carefully loosen & rotate the distributor...effictively tuning it by ear.

This is what I did. You have to use small movements while moving the distributor. Try a setting, tighten it, and play with the throttle lever. If you like the way it acts, take it out on the road and try it there. You may have to go thru this a few times to get it right.

But for $25 you would have a much easier time of it.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-23-2003 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Smoooooth GT:What's the best way to set the timing on a 2.8L WITHOUT a timing light...??
I am getting a code 32 and I think it might be because of the timing being off.. When I installed this dist. I just set the timing so it would run ok..??
Which way do I turn to advance it...??

Bodywork = YES!!
Mechanical stuff = NO!!

The ECM commands up to 35° advance at idle, so to properly set the timing you need to use a timing light and set the ECM to bypass by grounding the diagnostic terminal in the ALDL connector. You can get a timing light pretty cheap at most auto parts stores, and cheaper still at a pawn shop. Set the timing properly and you don't have to worry about burned valves and damaged piston ring lands.

Meanwhile, back at EGRville, code 32 is set when the vacuum detector switch on the EGR solenoid doesn't switch, either because of no vacuum (most likely) or the switch or its wiring back to the ECM being bad. Nothing else will set a code 32, not a missing or broken EGR tube, stuck EGR valve, etc. No vacuum on that switch, instant code 32. The EGR system has nothing to do with timing, at least not in a way that could even remotely cause a code 32.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock