Started on: 10-21-2003 09:54 AM
Replies: 3
Last post by: Indiana_resto_guy on 10-21-2003 01:15 PM
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 09:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
any issues here? just unbolt and then bolt in new pump? do I have do measure anything related to pump clearance and oil pan?
I am putting in a high volume pump and new pan in 88 v6 with Auto tranny.. yeah.. I know.. pain to drop pan...
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 11:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

any issues here? just unbolt and then bolt in new pump? do I have do measure anything related to pump clearance and oil pan?
I am putting in a high volume pump and new pan in 88 v6 with Auto tranny.. yeah.. I know.. pain to drop pan...

If the pickup is attached to the pump, then no issues. However, I have replace 3-4 in the past and the pick up was never attached. The PU's I have installed had to be tack welded to pump housing.
There were instructions included with the pump on how to measure the pick up clearence........Paul

Solo2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
User Banned

Report this Post10-21-2003 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Solo2Send a Private Message to Solo2Direct Link to This Post
I hope you are putting the listed parts in the motor:
Melling High Volume Oil Pump
Oil Pump - High Volume M95HV
Oil Pump Screen 95S3

You will be able to reuse the oil mounting bolt. When you re-intall the oil pan, get some modeling clay and press it against the pickup screen and the bottom of the oil pan, that way you know how much to adjust the pickup screen to the bottom of the oil pan. Clearance here is very important.

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 01:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Droping the pan isn't that much of a hassle to do.
I measure the distance from the top mounting lip of the oil pan to the bottom and subtract 1/2in. Then I install the pick-up tube and screen using the measurement obtained previously and set the tube in place.
Take note that the may be some special instructions included with the new pump about modifing the factory windage tray. Do so if you need to. I think the 87 & 88 pans are OK and do not need the modification.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock