elec problem by itsnotu
Started on: 10-21-2003 07:42 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: John Boelte on 10-21-2003 08:23 AM
itsnotu

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 07:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for itsnotuSend a Private Message to itsnotuDirect Link to This Post
Well thanks to a;ll with there help for my day six waterpump! Works fine now albiet a slight leak but I
'll figure that out.
Now... Last night after cruising her about town in the afternoon (short little runs) I stated the car and she was running ruff initially along with yellowed dome lights / dash. Lack of power. All gages lights wipers window etc.. wee running as though they were about to die . Almost stalled a few times. Now the altinater is to obvious right? I put in a new batttery a month ago and was hopeing it was just a bad ground from the battery to the chassis. While I have been working on the car I haven't driven it much just let it idsle etc. Suppose it could of been a problem all along. Also just before this bercame a elec problem belt started to squeel again. Bad altinater brgn? The car started up fine after jumping her and after jump initially the blinkers worker again but once shut down battery appears deader than a doornail!

Ideas?

Thanks,

Sean

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tryxalon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 08:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TryxalonClick Here to visit Tryxalon's HomePageSend a Private Message to TryxalonDirect Link to This Post
IF you drove it with the bad alternator after the new battery it is possible the Alternator killed the new battery.

Probably best to take the battery back and have it tested where you bought it ... just to be sure. Then I'd check ALL the connections: starter, grounds, C100 chassis connection (by the battery).

Some times little things mount up - especially as old as these cars are!!

John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2003 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
What did the voltmeter say when the car was running? Get a meter and read the voltage across the battery terminals.

If the car runs, there's at least 9 volts available to run the computer and ignition. It could be that the battery was discharged to the point that it couldn't start the car, but had enough charge to keep it running. And, if the alternator is bad, it didn't charge the battery; that's where you need to know what the car's voltmeter was reading. It should read between 13 and 14 volts when the car is running, a little over 12 volts with the engine not running and the ignition on.

------------------
Huh?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock