Electrical problems by Pontiac Boi
Started on: 10-20-2003 01:37 AM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Whuffo on 10-22-2003 12:39 PM
Pontiac Boi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2003 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
All the guage lights no longer work... no problem I just keep the map light on (ya I know it's illegal). Then the right turn signal stopped blinking, it just stays lit (both in dash and turn-signal). Now since I've installed my aftermarket cd-player and speakers, randomly sometimes when I press on the brakes the music will fade out momentarily and then fade back in. I'm guessing it's from the brake lights turning on.

I know when I start the car in the morning, the battery guage is around 8-10 and then after I let it warm up and shift to drive it'll go to the normal 13-14. Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. I'm guessing it could be some grounds. I know there's 4; one near the battery to the block and another near the tranny to the chassis. Anyone of any pics they can circle the areas the grounds would be (yes I am a newbie but really need help).

Thanks

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2003 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
I see 4 problems.

1 the dash lights,
you have a dial on the left under your head light switch, then a power amplifying transistor under the dash on the right side of the steering column.

2 the turn signal. You have a bad ground, a bad bulb, or the contact in a socket is not touching the bulb.

3 and 4 may be related.
the music fading out when breaking and then coming back.
and the alternator not charging unless you are in gear and the drive line has pressure.
That really looks like a bad ground problem and could possibly cause problems 1 and 2 as well.

Whuffo

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2003 12:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiac Boi:

All the guage lights no longer work... no problem I just keep the map light on (ya I know it's illegal). Then the right turn signal stopped blinking, it just stays lit (both in dash and turn-signal). Now since I've installed my aftermarket cd-player and speakers, randomly sometimes when I press on the brakes the music will fade out momentarily and then fade back in. I'm guessing it's from the brake lights turning on.

I know when I start the car in the morning, the battery guage is around 8-10 and then after I let it warm up and shift to drive it'll go to the normal 13-14. Don't know if that has anything to do with the problem. I'm guessing it could be some grounds. I know there's 4; one near the battery to the block and another near the tranny to the chassis. Anyone of any pics they can circle the areas the grounds would be (yes I am a newbie but really need help).

Thanks

A good place to start is to make sure the alternator belt is tight...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock