Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Advise Tip - 3.4 DOHC .... Happend to me. Be ware.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Advise Tip - 3.4 DOHC .... Happend to me. Be ware. by DreXteR
Started on: 10-14-2003 04:06 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: DreXteR on 10-15-2003 04:44 PM
DreXteR

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
Well to make the story short. My engine misteriously stop starting w/o any apparent reason. Crank but didnt start. After busting my ass off looking all over, I mean ALL. Everything was good, but not fire up. Well I decided to take off the timming belt covers and found the belt shreded. I revise all components and they are good, this leave me in middle of nowhere. How that happend if all parts are good!?!?!?!?!?

Well, I found that the time was off. But how!??!!? Then, found the tensioner pulley wasnt adjusted as it should be.

Why I notify this, u may ask ur self. My engine is brand NEW crate and this happend when it shouldnt be that way. Verify the belt is tight.

Because of this careless issue from the GM tech that build the engine. Now the engine have been taken off the car to readjust the time, when the car was ready to be taken to the muffler shop and then the street.

DreX

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 04:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I guess GM will repair it for you, but you're stuck with all the swapping out/in stuff. You wouln't expect this with a new engine.Good luck.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up. I'm installing a crate engine as well. This reminds me: Don't take anything for granted!

Gonna be great when you get it all working, tho. Well worth the hassels!

Neil

iced_theater

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iced_theaterSend a Private Message to iced_theaterDirect Link to This Post
Where did you get a new crate TDC? And for how much? I went to my local dealership and they didn't have that engine as a crate motor.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
I kept looking on the net till one popped up. I don't know about GM, but there seems to be a number of them out there. Here's one on EBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=2436954240

He has it listed as "`94-`97", but from the exhaust ports I would say its a `91-`95.

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, trying to get a 3.4 DOHC put together.

Fierobsessed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierobsessedSend a Private Message to FierobsessedDirect Link to This Post
You have got to be extra cautious with the belt tension on the DOHC, You MUST make sure that the tensioner is as tight as it will go, witch is the point at witch the square tab on the tensioner is at the 3 o'clock position. Also, I found doing timing on the Fiero with the 3.4 dohc in it was WAAAYYY EASIER then in the GP it came out of. I don't see any good reason to pull the motor for a timing problem I can change the belt and re-index the cams in about an hour, (of course this comes from plenty of practice)

------------------
84 Indy fiero Quad 4 HO (almost done!!)
85 2m? Getting parted out soon
Silver 88 GT, Newest addiction.

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 04:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
iced_theater - I got mine from eBay. The guy had 4 engines when I bougth mine. I need to look for the invoice to give you his info.

Fierobsessed - We had to pull the engine to do the cam timming. The tool I made is a bit large and dont clear the "strut base". Maybe later I can build a better one.

DreX

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock