Started on: 10-13-2003 12:48 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: FierOmar on 10-16-2003 01:31 AM
Fastback 86

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
kinda felt like i might've been hijacking the '4.9l vs sbc' thread, so i started a new post.

from the looks of things on that thread, the 4.9l is the eventual swap for me. so my question now is transmissions. I have a 4spd manual right now thats had extensive work done on it and has a kevlar clutch. can i bolt that right up to the caddy 4.9, either as is or with some kind of adapter? will my tranny stand up to the bigger engine or am i gonna blow it? if it won't, what manual transmission can i use? also, i've never drag raced before, and even with a V8 i don't plan to do much of it, just put a few modded hondas to shame. if im nice to it 95% of the time, will my 4spd be ok with it?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 01:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Your 4 speed muncie will hold up fine. You will need a neutrally balanced flywheel from a early 90s Cav Z-24 or baretta. You can also use the cavaliers stock clutch, no need to buy an expensive one. The engine will bolt up to the trani, but the trani will have to be notched to allow you to use the Cadillac starter.

------------------
86SE 5 speed
85GT 4.9 isuzu 5 speed
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/027839.html
Will trade both for a fastback GT

DRA

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DRAClick Here to visit DRA's HomePageSend a Private Message to DRADirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by crzyone:

Your 4 speed muncie will hold up fine. You will need a neutrally balanced flywheel from a early 90s Cav Z-24 or baretta. You can also use the cavaliers stock clutch, no need to buy an expensive one. The engine will bolt up to the trani, but the trani will have to be notched to allow you to use the Cadillac starter.

Very well said!

I'd be more worried about my CV joints and axles than the transmission itself. As long as the car is not already on the edge and is driven civilly most of the time I wouldn't worry about the transaxle that much. My opinion is based on research and not personal experience. When you start getting over 300 in the hp/tq dept I would start being a little more skeptical of reliability issues, especially if you are aggressive.
The 4.9L seems to be a good performance upgrade for the chassis without going overkill!

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/fierorulz/fieropage.html

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post
Heres the real question could I use the 4.9 mated to my TH125C?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by linenoise:

Heres the real question could I use the 4.9 mated to my TH125C?

Sure you can bolt up the 4.L to the TH-125H but since you are devoting much work to upgrading the engine why not use the matching 4T60E 4 speed automatic. It's much more pleasant cruising the highway with a 4 speed overdrive tranny than with the stock 3 speed. If you use the 3.06 FDR version of the TH-125 it would probably work OK but you'll get much better mileage with the 4T60E. Plus the 4T60E is a stronger transmission.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

linenoise

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 04:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for linenoiseClick Here to visit linenoise's HomePageSend a Private Message to linenoiseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

Sure you can bolt up the 4.L to the TH-125H but since you are devoting much work to upgrading the engine why not use the matching 4T60E 4 speed automatic. It's much more pleasant cruising the highway with a 4 speed overdrive tranny than with the stock 3 speed. If you use the 3.06 FDR version of the TH-125 it would probably work OK but you'll get much better mileage with the 4T60E. Plus the 4T60E is a stronger transmission.

Bare bones cheap ass swap. Stupid hole in the ground (Well) is eating up my funding.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
caddy auto weighs ALOT.
from my head, weights are like this

fiero manual = 90 lbs + fluid
fiero auto = 130 lbs + fluid
caddy auto = 200+ lbs + fluid?

I will give exact weights later tonight.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Muncie 4 speed- 84.5 lb. + flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc 35 lb. = 119.5 lb.

Getrag 5 speed- 101.5 lb. + flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch disc 35 lb. = 136.5 lb.

TH125c 3 speed- 124 lb + flexplate and torque converter- 29 lb. = 153 lb.

4T60E 4 speed- 159 lb. + flexplate and torque converter- 29 lb. = 188 lb.

At the most you're talking about a 68 lb difference, I don't think it's a big deal.

collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
rockcrawl!! will you modify my caddy ecm?

admin@fictionfind.com

KissMySSFiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KissMySSFieroSend a Private Message to KissMySSFieroDirect Link to This Post
ok, if your going to use the manual trans, what flywheel do you use? I see up above someone used one from a cav z24 or beretta.

Can you use the Neutral balanced flywheel from an 88 V6?

How much does it typically cost for a machine shop to plug and redrill the new flywheel?

TIA

------------------
SSFiero@Aol.com Support Mental Health, or I'll Kill Ya!!
Yellow Formula Signature

• 88 Yellow FORMULA-undergoing a ZZ3 350 with Accel 1000CFM Street Ram TPI and Gen VI DFI=345HP/390TQ
  • I Keep them in seperate garages and never take the bra off of one.
  • Black 88 formula-stock black and tan.
  • My Shower Cam
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-14-2003 01:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Yes, you can use the 88 flywheel, and a fiero clutch.

My flywheel cost $45

plugged, drilled, bushed and resurfaced cost me $200 Pretty much a new flywheel after that.

Make sure you use the throwout bearing from the specific manual transmission you use. It will bolt up like a manual flywheel was meant to go on this engine.

Good Luck!

PFF
System Bot
collinwestphal

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2003 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for collinwestphalSend a Private Message to collinwestphalDirect Link to This Post
go to a junkyard and get a flywheel for any early 90's fwd car with either a 2.2L, 2.8L or a 3.1L engine. berettas, corsicas, S-10's, cavaliers, cutlass siera, etc.

When they show you the clutch, measure the diameter of the disk it was used with. You want one that is 9 1/8" not 8 1/2". Check the teeth, and make sure they are good. Last thing you want to do is spend $200 on a crappy flywheel. It should cost between $20-$50 for a used one. I got a 96' s-10 flywheel for $25. Also check to see if it is really worn where the disk goes. if there is a definate ridge, ask for another one.

I went to 4 machine shops before finding one that would do the work, and had done them before. I gave him my caddy auto spacer, and caddy auto driveplate. This was all he needed. He made a bushing, drilled the holes, but did not resurface the flywheel. The flywheel was in very good condition and there was no ridge. It fit on with perfect precision. $227 for machining and tax.

then you can use the fiero v6 clutch disk, pressure plate, and throwout bearing. If you have a getrag get a getrag bearing, if you have a 4 spd muncie get a 4 spd bearing, if you have a izuzu get an izuzu bearing.

thats about it.
Good luck.

FierOmar

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2003 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierOmarSend a Private Message to FierOmarDirect Link to This Post
I recently had an aluminum flywheel made to fit the 4.9. The bolt pattern and center bore were matched to the 4.9 flexplate and the balance is matched to the 88 Fiero flywheel. Steel insert for the clutch surface. The shop retained the specs and can duplicate this flywheel out of aluminum or steel. BTW the aluminum flywheel weighs about 1/2 of the original steel.

------------------
FierOmar

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock