Auto Tranny Strengthening Info by dykz34
Started on: 10-12-2003 04:32 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: 86 FIERO GT on 10-12-2003 10:49 PM
dykz34

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2003 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dykz34Send a Private Message to dykz34Direct Link to This Post
Hey there, I'm looking into getting any information about strengthening the 4T60E. This winter I plan to pull the tranny and rebuild it, but am not finding much info on parts. Are there any common failure parts? I'd rather pull the tranny, rebuild once, and then not have to worry about it ever again. Plans so far include a 3k high stall convertor, a 3.33 diff. w/ appropriate sun gear to achieve a 3.73 overall FDR, and having a company (don't know which one yet) retrofit it to a limited-slip. I read a while back that Raybestos was going to have performance clutches available for the 4T60E this fall, but haven't heard anything since then. Have any of you heard anything? Thanks for the help!!

EDIT: I also heard that there was a guy on here that built 600+HP TH125s. Im sure a lot of the parts are the same, or could be applied to the 4T60E. Does anyone have any info on those trannies? Thanks.

Dave

[This message has been edited by dykz34 (edited 10-12-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2003 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Any qualified transmission shop can do this.

You need various special tools to work on the transverse transmissions. Certain seals are especially easy to damage if you don't have the tools.

Part of your problem is that many of the transmission parts places will not deal directly with the public. They don't want the headache.

Even if you had the rebuild manuals and all the GM TSBs, you would not have all the info available. There are various things published in transmission trade publications that aren't easily available elsewhere. This data covers things like how to set clearances for things that aren't normally adjustable.

------------------
Be alert. The world need more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 10-12-2003).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The standard procedure for adding strength to a FWD automatic transmission involves adding more discs to the clutch pack. This requires machining a new O Ring groove on the clutch shaft to accomodate the new clutches and still maintain the clearnace tolerance. The second step usually is reinforcement of the drum, and the final steep is the addition of a street/strip shift kit to minimize slip and firm up the shifts. The tranny shifts a bit harder with this modification but ends up being far stronger. We've done several modifications of these trannys in my shop with excellent results.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

86 FIERO GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2003 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
The 4t60e basically a 4l60 turned sideways, and they are 700r4s so modding is similar to them. My trans I sold to Mr pat has the 3.42 ratio and the accumulators locked that way it gets 100% fluid pressure and shifts are hard and crisp.

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock