CD-Player wiring by Pontiac Boi
Started on: 10-10-2003 01:14 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: JazzMan on 10-11-2003 10:09 AM
Pontiac Boi

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
I have a Sony CDX-L510X and haave the Metra wiring adapter harness. I crimped all the colored wires (white, grey, green, etc etc) except for 4 wires. A red one, a long black one with a metal c-clip at the end tip, and two blue wires, one labeled "Amp" and the other "Ant". I don't have an amp yet and Fieros don't have the power antenna so I'm guessing the two blue don't need to be plugged. Where does the red and black one go though? On the diagram, the red is listed as connecting to "+" and the black to "-".

Also, in there was a seperate two wire adapter. I crimped the yellow one from the cd-player to the yellow one on the clip. There is still a orange one from the adapter clip I don't know where it goes, it's labeled "illumination". The clip looks like the same clip as the wiring adapter for the speakers.

Any help is very very appreciated! Thanks in advance, I hope to get this working.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
Oh ya, and on the Metra 78-90 GM harness adapter wires, there are four unused wires:

-Black labeled chassis ground
-Orange with white stripe labeled positive dimmer
-Pinkish Red labeled ignition and acc.
-Blue labeled Power Antenna

FieroAudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAudioSend a Private Message to FieroAudioDirect Link to This Post
The RED wire is the accessory power wire. This is what turns on the unit only when its supposed to be on (key in 'on' or in 'acc')

The black wire is the ground.

They both should be in that metra wiring harness. You simply color code everything together when you do the metra stuff.

If your unit doesnt have a red wire, then leave it bare. If the player has the red wire, look on the metra harness. If this has nothing red, you will have to run to the fuse box. I suggest going to a local stereo shop for this.

The ground (black) wire can either go into the harness or can connect directly to the chassis of the car (find a good solid point of metal that seems like its connected to the chassis.

To see if the ground is good, you take multimeter, set it to show 'DC Voltage' and then connect the positive of the multimeter to the YELLOW wire in your harness, and put the black to the spot you think is ground (scratch the paint on the ground if need be). The multimeter should show between 12 and 14 volts (whatever the battery is, actually).

Confused? Feel free to PM me. I do this professionally .

------------------
-Blaine/FieroAudio

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, that was very helpful! The Red and Black wires are now accounted for. The Blue and Blue w/stripe are ant and amp and I know I don't need those plugged in.

Last problem though is I still don't know if the "Orange" wire from the two-wire white Clip that came with the GM harness adapter is suppose to be connected. I have the yellow wire from the cd-player connected to that Clip's yellow. The yellow wire on the white Clip says "Batt/Memory" and the orange wire says "Illumination". The white Clip is able to plug directly in to the other clip from the car and resembles the same adapter clip I used for my speakers.

P.S. "+" for you FieroAudio

[This message has been edited by Pontiac Boi (edited 10-10-2003).]

FieroAudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 02:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAudioSend a Private Message to FieroAudioDirect Link to This Post
if you hooked up the following wires, you dont NEED to do anything else:

==Power==
Yellow (+12V Constant)
Red (+12V ACC)
Black (-12V Constant)
==Speakers==
White
White/Black
Grey
Grey/Black
Green
Green/Black
Violet
Violet/Black

There, thats it! Cap/Blank Butt Connect/Tape off the other wires, make damned sure they won't touch anything else...

If you ever put an amp in, you use the BLUE/WHITE wire in to turn on the amplifier.

Oh, and thanks for the + I appreciate it

------------------
-Blaine/FieroAudio

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 06:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post
It's now 3am, I couldn't sleep. I had to install the cd-player lol. It's all working (well sort of, I'll get to that). The cd-player and amp is great. It's nighttime so I can't pump up my new front and rear Pioneers.

Everything seems okay except one thing. No matter what cd I put in, it skips every 2 seconds. The radio works perfectly fine, but I bought the cd-player to play CDs. It's not a cheap one to, it's the $180 Sony X-Plod 510. I'm guessing it might be defective, but maybe one of you have ran in to this problem. Anyone? Suggestions? Thanks.

Pontiac Boi

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2003 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pontiac BoiSend a Private Message to Pontiac BoiDirect Link to This Post

Pontiac Boi

711 posts
Member since Aug 2003
K found out regular CD's plays perfect, even my most scratched up. It's just CD-Rs that skip.

*Venting On*
Tonight was one one the most retarded nights. I finally get the cd-player working but lock my keys in the car... my spare is no where to be found. While waiting for Triple A, I start touching the Sail Window, and it freaking cracks to pieces. The 3A guy finally arrives, my driver side is already missing the weatherstrip, but he says he has to do it passengerside... there goes that weatherstrip. almost 5am, class in 2 hours yay.
*venting off*

FieroAudio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2003 04:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroAudioSend a Private Message to FieroAudioDirect Link to This Post
Your CD Player is probably defective, but heres a side note:

Sony CD Players do skip more than most others simply because they read the CD more accurately than most other brands. This means better Sound Quality, but sony's amplifier and pre-amp sections are horrid to say the best...

I'd go with a Pioneer if you can get a refund..great balance of SQ and functionality.

JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post10-11-2003 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pontiac Boi:
*Venting On*
Tonight was one one the most retarded nights. I finally get the cd-player working but lock my keys in the car... my spare is no where to be found. While waiting for Triple A, I start touching the Sail Window, and it freaking cracks to pieces. The 3A guy finally arrives, my driver side is already missing the weatherstrip, but he says he has to do it passengerside... there goes that weatherstrip. almost 5am, class in 2 hours yay.
*venting off*

If by weather strip you mean the dew wipe, then you could've unlocked the door yourself with just a stiff object like a screwdriver or ruler. Look down in the cap, you will see rods running horizontally. One of them is the rod to your lock slider. It has a crook in it, just push against the crook to slide it forward and the door is unlocked.

JazzMan

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock