Short* Clutch Question by DakotaMatt
Started on: 10-05-2003 05:15 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Will on 10-07-2003 09:18 AM
DakotaMatt

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DakotaMattSend a Private Message to DakotaMattDirect Link to This Post
Lets say someone was putting a Shortstar in his Fiero. And that person was also using a Getrag trans. What flywheel and clutch should fit? It stands to reason that since the 3.5TDC and the 3800SC both bolt to a 4t65, and people use getrags on 3800SCs, the same flywheel and clutch setup should work.
-Matt
BTW, what flywheel are you Manual 3800sc people using?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I have a crate motor 3.5 on the floor so I will check it out. I have thought about this before but never got around to cheking it out. I did bolt the 3.5 to a 5 speed Getrag just to see how it looks. It will bolt right up to it. the problem may be the offset of the flywheel and crank flang. I have a flex plate from a 3800SC and a custom flywheel (modified 3800 Firebird) which is what some people use on 3800 conversions. I will take some pics and find someone that can post them for you to see.
DakotaMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DakotaMattSend a Private Message to DakotaMattDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rick. If I had known you were doing a manual trans, i would have just asked ya.
-Matt
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well I am not doing a 5 speed............Yet
I need to get the auto to pass smog in CA. first, then change it over to a 5 speed. After it is all legal "auto" and the bugs are worked out, I plan to swap it over. I know I cant get it certified as a stick, but I may be able to just get the simple 2 year smogs, if they dont look close? Also doing the auto to manual swap after the system was debugged, will narrow the field of potential bugs. IE, Is the problem in the wireing or in the PCM? If the problem is in the wireing the stock engine/tranny drivetrain wont work. But if it does work and runs great, then switch to a stick and it dont run so good anymore then I will know the problem is in the auto/stick conversion not in the Olds/Fiero conversion.
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 01:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
I just looked at the 3.5 flex plate, it has a bolt circle that is MUCH larger than the 3800. So I will have to get a different flywheel. I guess that it is the same flywheel as the N*?
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post

Rickady88GT

10648 posts
Member since Dec 2002
This is a pic of the 3.5 and 3800 flexplate side by side. The 3800 is externaly balanced and the 3.5 is not. Also the hub-centric hole on the 3.5 is much smaller than the 3800. And if you look close you can see the differance between the two bolt circles.
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. That engine looks familiar...
The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Forget northstar and short star, they should have called 'em the big dipper and little dipper
DakotaMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DakotaMattSend a Private Message to DakotaMattDirect Link to This Post
It stands to reason that the bolt pattern on a 3.5 is the same as a N*. I'll just find out what the N* boys are doing, and go from there.
-Matt
DakotaMatt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 07:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DakotaMattSend a Private Message to DakotaMattDirect Link to This Post

DakotaMatt

144 posts
Member since Oct 2002
Um, so, what are the N* boys running for clutch and flywheel combos??
-Matt
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Mostly plugged and redrilled stock flywheels, however KF Group now makes an aluminum flywheel for the Northstar.

------------------
'87 Fiero GT: Northstar, Getrag, TGP wheels, rear sway bar, rod end links, bushings, etc.
'90 Pontiac 6000 SE AWD: Leaking ABS unit fixed, load levelling rear suspension fixed, still slow

PFF
System Bot
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Will

You must be talking about the stock 88, how much does it cost to plug and redrill it and how much for an aluminum one?

Rick

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2003 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rickady88GT:

Will

You must be talking about the stock 88, how much does it cost to plug and redrill it and how much for an aluminum one?

Rick

What is this hangup on '88 Fiero flywheels?ANY flywheel from '87 or later non-Fiero FWD 2.8 or 3.1 will work.

Yes, I did mean the neutral balance flywheel.

KFG sells theirs for about $300. Go check out their website.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock