Please help me repair my car! by kolenich
Started on: 10-04-2003 11:35 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: cccharlie on 10-06-2003 03:42 PM
kolenich

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kolenichClick Here to Email kolenichSend a Private Message to kolenichDirect Link to This Post
Hello everyone,
I have a 87 5spd with and 89 2.5L

I recently replaced my motor mount and before that the car ran fine. After I got done with the motor mount here is my problem.

Here is the symptoms of my problem. Car is turning over slowly when I try to start it and wont start.

I went through the electrical system and the appropriate voltage is going everywhere and have replaced the starter.

Here is were things get weird. I tried to push start the engine down a big hill and as I am rolling I put it in first and the wheels lock up. I can rotate the engine with a breaker bar fine to the left but it is very difficult spinning to the right(the way the engine runs) This car ran fine before I replaced the motormount. Please help I dont know what to check next.

Thank you
Karl

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
edhering

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for edheringClick Here to visit edhering's HomePageClick Here to Email edheringSend a Private Message to edheringDirect Link to This Post
How well does the engine turn if the transmission is in neutral?

Ed

knightfieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for knightfieroGTClick Here to Email knightfieroGTSend a Private Message to knightfieroGTDirect Link to This Post
ignition moduel?....bump
James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
Sounds like the battery needs charging and check your battery cables includeing down at the starter (disconnect the battery befor doing anything at the starter end).How steep of a hill was this?Only other thing I could think of is loss of pressure in the slave cylendar.
kolenich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kolenichClick Here to Email kolenichSend a Private Message to kolenichDirect Link to This Post
The voltage at the starter is good. I thought it was a electrical problem till I tried to push it down a hill and the drivetrain locked up when I released the clutch in first. I would say we got the car to about 25 mph.
Karl
kolenich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kolenichClick Here to Email kolenichSend a Private Message to kolenichDirect Link to This Post

kolenich

76 posts
Member since Jan 2003
I can push the car fine when it is in neutal or I have my foot on the clutch.
Jim Porter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim PorterClick Here to Email Jim PorterSend a Private Message to Jim PorterDirect Link to This Post
First thought is...

"Is the bolt for the motor mount the proper length?"

------------------

FIEROZ.COM

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 08:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROZ.COMClick Here to visit FIEROZ.COM's HomePageClick Here to Email FIEROZ.COMSend a Private Message to FIEROZ.COMDirect Link to This Post
Did you disconnect, any ground strap going from the frame to the engine .Retrace your steps, you could had miss something. I really hate when that happen; a simple fix turns in to a headeache.

------------------
" My intention is to " give a different point of view ", not to offend in any way; peace."

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
Gear ratios are reversed when pop starting. You may have an easier time in a higher gear - try 3rd.

Voltage is not the whole story. I'd suspect a bad ground or positive battery cable. This wont show til under load.

------------------
88 4cyl auto Fiero, AC, sunroof
"And isn't sanity really just a one-trick pony anyway? I mean all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you're good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick

kolenich

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kolenichClick Here to Email kolenichSend a Private Message to kolenichDirect Link to This Post
Here is what I did. I replaced the power cable the wires going to the starter made sure they where all getting good voltage. I bought a large ground strap and mad a good chassis to engine connection.

A question about push starting. You have to do it in a higher gear. I always though you did it in first. Is that why the tires just lock up?

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatClick Here to Email topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kolenich:

Here is what I did. I replaced the power cable the wires going to the starter made sure they where all getting good voltage. I bought a large ground strap and mad a good chassis to engine connection.

A question about push starting. You have to do it in a higher gear. I always though you did it in first. Is that why the tires just lock up?

If I have to push start, I never use first... too much of jerk and stain on the engine and tranny and mounts for my comfort level. I always use second or third, then as soon as the engine cranks and starts, I engage the clutch.

PFF
System Bot
cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

Its also possible that you have a bad ignition switch / wiring. Try bypassing the switch to crank the engine if you are comfortable doing so.

IF YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE THE CAR IS IN NEUTRAL BECAUSE YOU ARE BYPASSING THE CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A car will pop start MUCH easier in a higher gear.

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 03:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post

cccharlie

2006 posts
Member since Jan 2003

I can rotate the engine with a breaker bar fine to the left but it is very difficult spinning to the right(the way the engine runs)

Try turning the engine with the plugs out so you arent fighting compression.

And make sure your car is in neutral.

[This message has been edited by cccharlie (edited 10-06-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock