Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  any experience with crower "hi-draulic hauler" camshaft? (p/n 03050)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

any experience with crower "hi-draulic hauler" camshaft? (p/n 03050) by coinball
Started on: 10-04-2003 07:55 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Oreif on 10-08-2003 07:15 PM
coinball

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
supposedly a mean ass cam, i was curious if anyone has used it...i'm thinking about giving it a try for shits-n-giggles. i'm most likely gonna have to use a vacuum reservior tank for the brakes. i want to bump the compression up some to possibly 9.5:1, i don't feel like doing the calculations right now, so does anyone know how much would have to be shaved off of the heads to get the compression up that high...i'm guessing close to .030" has to come off. i also looked at the "ultra-performance compu-pro" (p/n 03043). i'm going to shave down the intake manifold runners like 1fst2m6 and build some equal length headers with 1.5"x36" primaries and seperate 2.25" dual pipes after that. all the intake manifolds will be sent to darrell morse to be ported (and i'm looking into having the upper plenum extrude honed). any input is appreciated, thanks!

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan NOW with a 4.10 4-speed <- edit broke 4.10 back to 3.65 4-speed
3.1 TDC + other goodies coming eventually

SAVE THE SHAUN!!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
bump it
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
when shaving the heads, how does that affect the intake manifold mounting & valve cover sealing? I had a slight shave done on mine, and I can see the misalignment on the valve cover surface. The gaskets thick & meaty enough that its not a problem, but I expect the same thing is happening on the intake manifold. seems like it doesnt sit as low/close to the block as it should.
coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
you have to get the lower plenum shaved on the bottom and edges so it still intersects the heads properly when bolted to the block...
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 12:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Yes the intake needs to be shaved so the head to intake mating is not shifted. I had my heads shaved which required the intake to be shaved and then they port/gasket matched them.
On a 60* V-6 it is more important to do since the intake is also the rear side of the head.

As for the cams:
The 3050 will require you to notch the pistons for the valves if you shave them. Max lift with a shave is about .480
Also with the 3050 you will have a lopey idle and possibly low idle vacuum. The MAP sensors don't like low vacuum especially when the cold weather starts.
The 3043 would be better for street use especially in the cold weather.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 01:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
well it looks as though i'm gonna give the 03043 a try along with 1.6 crane gold race roller rockers that will give a .464"/.479" lift with a 212*/218* duration @.050". that should liven up the 'ol 2.8

Oreif - any idea what kind of gains i would notice with throwing the cam in with a cloyes true double roller chain, the roller rockers and my current mods ported exhaust manifolds (still working on the equal length headers...limited funds), WCF style intake, MSD-6A w/ blaster coil, MSD wires, underdrive pulley, no cat, ocelot exhaust? i have a dynotuner and some 19# mustang injectors if i need to toss in if i need to. will the cylinder be sucking more air than the intake manifolds can supply in stock form?

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coinball:

Oreif - any idea what kind of gains i would notice with throwing the cam in with a cloyes true double roller chain, the roller rockers and my current mods ported exhaust manifolds (still working on the equal length headers...limited funds), WCF style intake, MSD-6A w/ blaster coil, MSD wires, underdrive pulley, no cat, ocelot exhaust? i have a dynotuner and some 19# mustang injectors if i need to toss in if i need to. will the cylinder be sucking more air than the intake manifolds can supply in stock form?

Well going by the Desktop Dyno (assuming the bored intake and WCF have about the same CFM flow and that you'll be porting the heads and raising compression to 9.5:1) You should be about 187hp/192 torque. If compression stays at stock, You'll be down to 183hp.
Boring the cylinders and stroking the engine gets you to 192hp/201 torque.

Desktop Dyno seems to be +/- 2% for the 60* V-6's. Generally the engine will have 2% more power with the roller chain/rockers and the underdrive pulley's.

You'll definately want an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. Unless you plan on boring/stroking the engine, 19# injectors might be a little too much. If you need bigger injectors, the 17# ones may be better suited and slightly easier to tune.

coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2003 02:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
Oreif - when i said WCF style intake i meant the cold air intake not the $700 upper plenum they make...

i am however gonna do a cooter style intake manifold (dual TB's), just need to find some 3.5" aluminum piping and weld it onto the middle plenum. i think that will work way better with twin N20 fogger nozzles setup for maybe a 75-100 shot (total, 35-50 each plenum side, this is what shaun41178 is doing)...i know the forged vs hyper piston topic has been beaten to death for boosted and juiced applications, but if i have the piston crowns ceramic coated along with moly rings i think the hypers will be alright and since i'm not running a 200shot of N20 it should work out ok (i think...)

the real question is will the 03043 "work well" with the juice? i know u want a good exhaust lobe to run N20, but i'm not sure about the overlap part? any input is appreciated...thanks!

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coinball:

Oreif - when i said WCF style intake i meant the cold air intake not the $700 upper plenum they make...

i am however gonna do a cooter style intake manifold (dual TB's), just need to find some 3.5" aluminum piping and weld it onto the middle plenum. i think that will work way better with twin N20 fogger nozzles setup for maybe a 75-100 shot (total, 35-50 each plenum side, this is what shaun41178 is doing)...i know the forged vs hyper piston topic has been beaten to death for boosted and juiced applications, but if i have the piston crowns ceramic coated along with moly rings i think the hypers will be alright and since i'm not running a 200shot of N20 it should work out ok (i think...)

the real question is will the 03043 "work well" with the juice? i know u want a good exhaust lobe to run N20, but i'm not sure about the overlap part? any input is appreciated...thanks!

The 3043 will be fine with N20, But if your using the dual TB intake like Cooter/Shaun, You may want to look at the Crane 272. This is a much better cam for N/A and N20. I have the flow rates for the dual TB intake Shaun is using, So now your flow is only limited by the heads. Without juice you should be in the 230hp range.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock