Alternater/Pulley Question by RichLeBlanc
Started on: 10-03-2003 11:15 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: avengador1 on 10-04-2003 07:39 PM
RichLeBlanc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLeBlancSend a Private Message to RichLeBlancDirect Link to This Post
Hiya all, 2.8 stock engine question.

My new serpentine belt gave out after only 300 miles and the mechanic said it went because the pulley on the alternater only has 4 groves and all the other pullies have 5 groves for the serpentine belt. Does the stock pulley have 4 or 5 groves that is used for the serpentine belt?

I'm wondering if the mechanic is giving me a bunch of crap since he just replaced the alternater 2 monthes ago and now the belt goes poof and does not want to pay any mistake he may have made.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
Whatever your other pulleys have for grooves is what your alternator should have. I'm guessing he put a rebuilt alternator on it, saw that it had a grooved pulley, and didn't bother to check that it had the right number of grooves. I just replaced an alternator on a friend's 86 SE V6, and this is EXACTLY what happened...we got a rebuilt alternator that had the wrong number of grooves on the pulley. Luckily, we caught it before we got it installed, and took it back and the parts store removed the pulley off the old alternator, and installed it on the new one. If he put the alternator on it two months ago...and the alternator has the wrong number of grooves on the pulley...then he screwed up by not checking the pulley to make sure it was the right one...and should not only replace your belt, but also find you a new pulley to match the other pulleys on your car. That's what any reputable repair shop would do.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeClick Here to Email GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Simple....how many grooves are on the rest of the pulleys. Obviously they should match.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

RichLeBlanc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RichLeBlancDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the imput.

He did order and install a rebuilt alternator. My next question would be, when a mechanic orders a rebuilt alternator does it come with the pulley or does he have to use the old pulley from the bad alternator?

Originally posted by litespd:

Whatever your other pulleys have for grooves is what your alternator should have. I'm guessing he put a rebuilt alternator on it, saw that it had a grooved pulley, and didn't bother to check that it had the right number of grooves. I just replaced an alternator on a friend's 86 SE V6, and this is EXACTLY what happened...we got a rebuilt alternator that had the wrong number of grooves on the pulley. Luckily, we caught it before we got it installed, and took it back and the parts store removed the pulley off the old alternator, and installed it on the new one. If he put the alternator on it two months ago...and the alternator has the wrong number of grooves on the pulley...then he screwed up by not checking the pulley to make sure it was the right one...and should not only replace your belt, but also find you a new pulley to match the other pulleys on your car. That's what any reputable repair shop would do.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 549
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
In nearly all cases an alternator comes with a pulley.

In this case it may have come with the wrong pulley and if true would make it the mechanic's problem. He should have known to check such a thing before installation as wrong pulley is a very common problem.

He should eat the cost of installing the correct pulley and the new belt.

------------------
Be alert. The world need more lerts...

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 572
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Click Here to Email avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
They come with a pulley installed already. You need to make sure that the number of grooves match. The rebuilt one I bought had the wrong number also so I swap my old pulley myself before installing.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock