Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  What can I do to get the maximum performance from my stock 4.9?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

What can I do to get the maximum performance from my stock 4.9? by Mastermind
Started on: 10-03-2003 12:29 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Rhino88gt on 10-13-2003 11:58 PM
Mastermind

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 207
User Banned

Report this Post10-03-2003 12:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

My 4.9 already runs good but I would like suggestions to improve its performance without opening it up.

Should I get new spark plug wires? AC Delco, Bosch? Which brand of spark plugs are best for this motor? I'm open to all suggestions.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 01:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Personally I would recommend sticking with the original equipment plugs and wires if you haven't modified the heck out of the engine. Unless your running a turbo, NOS or something that changes the operating parameters of the engine, the factory specified plugs will work best.

Not much you can do to a 4.9 without getting into major bucks. Rockcrawl and the guys on the 4.9 yahoo list might have some input for you.

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 02:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
If you have a couple hundred bucks lying around you could always put a small dose of nitrous on it. Nothing crazy, maybe a 50 shot. Should liven it up alittle.

There is basically no aftermarket for this motor. A tune up will make it run better, better fuel economy but no noticable hp increace.

If you were willing to pull the heads, thats where the hp bottleneck lies. Small valves, especially the exhaust, weak springs, small ports, small manifold. Not the best for hp performance. And not to mention a desil like cam.

So the easiest most noticable hp increace is nitrous or you will need to spend alot of money porting stuff out.

------------------
86SE 5 speed
85GT 4.9 isuzu 5 speed
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/027839.html

Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 09:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
Check the HER86GT string on General Chat.

Pete is really building a 4.9 and if he can't help you, nobody can.

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
Unless it runs poorly now, you won't notice any performance gains by replacing plugs and wires. If it's '93 or newer it should have AC Delco 41-902 double platinum plugs in it, they are good for 100k miles or so. They are like $6-8 each but you will probably never need to replace them. If you want a little more power I can bump up the spark advance at WOT. You can try advancing the distributor a few degrees, but you'll likely get spark knock around 2000 rpm if you go above the factory setting of 10 degrees at the distributor. It depends on the fuel you use and the condition of the engine. You should be running 91 octane or greater, but some 4.9s will settle for 87 or 89 depending on conditions.
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
We found an off the line torque increase with an upper intake change/extention like this. Made by Rockcrawl, we tested it for him.

Mastermind

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2003 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Thanks guys for the suggestions. However, I'm not opening the engine to massage the internals , nor am I going to use N2O. I just want to do things that will give me the optimal perfprmance from a stock setup. I mentioned spark plugs and wires because the engine is from a 92 Deville and even though it runs great I have no way of knowing when the plugs and/or wires were last changed.

So I want to be sure everything operating correctly.

Captain Midnight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Captain MidnightSend a Private Message to Captain MidnightDirect Link to This Post
For about $200. you can put on an Alante intake. It's good for 20HP. For $30. you can change the valve springs to the Fiero 2.8 springs. That will give you a little more revs. For $395. you can get an aluminum flywheel. It will let the car pull through the RPM's much quicker.

------------------
Captain Midnight

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
Maybe this is more like what you have in mind:

Summit # PNX-D800
Black Cap (Red & Blue avail)
Pertonix Flame Thrower tuneup kit
50,000 volt coil & module
alkyd cap & rotot
adjustable vacum advance cannister
high performance advance kit
wiring harness
capacitor
hardware
#PNX-D800 Chevy/Cadillac v8 $119.95

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

you can change the valve springs to the Fiero 2.8 springs.

Well you can but that's not the full story. The recommended springs are not stock 2.8 springs. They are GM Performance Parts replacement springs for a small block Chevy. They just happen to be listed in the 60* V6 section of the catalog also. They are available in a set of 16, pn 12495495 or individually, pn 330585.

PNX-D800 won't fit a 4.9. The cap will have the wrong screws, module won't fit, and the rest of the stuff is just unusable. About the only part of the kit that would work is the coil, and they sell that for $40.

Mastermind

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-04-2003 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Rockcrawl, do you think I will see a noticeable improvement in performance by changing to that coil with everything else being stock?

In other words is it worth it by itself?

PFF
System Bot
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2003 04:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
nope. I put one in my Formula along with a Holley module. Noticed no difference at all.
Mastermind

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-05-2003 03:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Rockcrawl. I changed my O2 sensor and the car got stronger pulling noticebly harder than before.
I also changed the oil and filter using Mobile 1 so that could be why it's running stronger.

[This message has been edited by Mastermind (edited 10-05-2003).]

Mastermind

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2003 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Will a flowmaster muffler and or a true dual setup give me noticeable improvement in performance?

Will I see noticeable performance improvement if I get rid of the stock air filter setup and go with a K&N ran to the side scoop?

TaurusThug

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 10:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaurusThugSend a Private Message to TaurusThugDirect Link to This Post
take out the air filter :-) thats good for a few horsies. if you really want the hp numbers get some yellow stickers and some 8-inch folger cans. lol j/k.
Mastermind

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post10-13-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MastermindSend a Private Message to MastermindDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by TaurusThug:

take out the air filter :-) thats good for a few horsies. if you really want the hp numbers get some yellow stickers and some 8-inch folger cans. lol j/k.

Yeah, I was thinking of using panty hose in place of the air filter.

Fastback 86

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 231
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 11:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fastback 86Send a Private Message to Fastback 86Direct Link to This Post
do they make better headers for the 4.9?

I usually go intake, exhaust, headers, and maybe a bigger throttle body if there is one, with whatever car it is.

how bout performance chips?

Rhino88gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2003 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rhino88gtClick Here to visit Rhino88gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rhino88gtDirect Link to This Post
hey rockcrawl, how much were those valve springs you listed, do you remember? also what machining needs to be done to make them fit?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock