3800 sc won't start, any ideas???? by MP5Na3
Started on: 10-02-2003 09:18 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: MP5Na3 on 10-05-2003 06:42 PM
MP5Na3

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post

Just looking for any ideas I haven't tried yet.

I have replaced

coils
Ignition control module
PCM

Engine cranks but won't start

Injectors pulse light when attached so they are tripping
Spark testor sparks so I am getting spark
Tachometer registers so ckp sensor seems to be working
its not the security system as that activates after engine is running
I am getting fuel (line has pressure)

Kinda pulling my hair out here over this. I traced all my wiring and
that seems to be ok, everything is getting voltage that it should.

Just turns over and over and nothing...

Any ideas on where to look next?

I ordered an autotap to see if that can pinpoint something but until
that gets here does anyone have any ideas.

It ran fine, pulled into garage, next day no start.

thanks in advance for ANY ideas.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
how do the plugs look?

------------------
Rich AIM one fast 2m8
WTB: 3.32 4 speed tranny

MP5Na3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post
Plugs looked ok. I haven't pulled them out tonight to check to see if they are wet or not. I have been messing with this for three weeks now, so it is not as if they have flooded (can that even happen anymore with fi cars?).
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
if its running rich, they could look ok, but be fouled out
MP5Na3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post
But, the question is, why would they be running rich all of a sudden.
MP5Na3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post

MP5Na3

307 posts
Member since Jul 2001
And how would I fix that?
Scott-Wa

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2003 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scott-WaClick Here to visit Scott-Wa's HomePageSend a Private Message to Scott-WaDirect Link to This Post
Back up to basics again...

Need spark, air, fuel and compression.

Sounds like you have spark. Need to verify fuel INJECTION. What is fuel pressure? have you got a scope or a Noid light to see if the injectors are actually getting a signal to fire? Have you checked power to injectors? (fuses?)They are ground controlled so with key on you should have battery voltage to one of the wires. Just unplug and probe the connector with a multimeter ( or test light if you must)from terminals to ground, one wire should have power. If so you need to go further checking grounds etc...

Hope this helps

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
My car has done this a few times in the past, and I could never pinpoint exactly what was going wrong, just suddenly one day it stopped and hasnt done it since. Try resetting the pcm (unhook both connectors that go to it for about 20 minutes) and plug it back in. Then give it a try and report back. Always worked for mine.
StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 07:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
Be sure that all your wiring to the coil pack and Ign module is soldered correctly, im sure you've checked it, but if your cranking your engine and something is partially connected or has a bad connection in that harness, it will cause it to start one day and stop, or stop when you mash on the gas, or stop out of the blue, or stop when ever it wants. You can even shake it, and it will not effect the running of the motor, but it just takes one stretched out wire to change, and BAM! it stops...

Make sure none of it is wet either,,,,,, can anyone say..... Fiery fiero three times fast...

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 ;)

GT40 Kit 3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 Kit 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 Kit 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
Try a shot of ether to make sure you're getting fuel.
Kevin

------------------
85 Fiero-based ASPP GT-40 MarkII. 3800 S/C, Auto, Held suspension all around with 2" drop spindles and sport fr. end. RCC bump-steer correction. Mr. Mike's interior.

Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2003 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Is your battery fully charged. My Astro van gave me problems one year and the service tech said the newer fuel injected cars have to turn over fairly fast or they won't start.
I just had this problem with my 4.9L swap. The motor turned over pretty good I thought but it wouldn't start. I had gas and spark and air but no go. I fully charged the battery fo 24 hours and tried again. I hadn't changed anything but it started right up.

Dragon1/Brian

PFF
System Bot
TimGully

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TimGullySend a Private Message to TimGullyDirect Link to This Post
If you're running a 98+ PCM, you may want to look into having a 'CASE LEARN' done to the PCM. Seems that there's a problem when swapping PCM's between motors. It has to do with the exact placement of cam & crank sensors on any given motor. Symptoms are as you describe.

Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
I would think twice about spraying ether in it, one back fire could cost some big money.
MP5Na3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-05-2003 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MP5Na3Send a Private Message to MP5Na3Direct Link to This Post
Got her to run today and am almost embarassed to say what was wrong. Wired the spark plugs exactly incorrect side to side. Amazing how poorly they run like that. Stupid mistake that once done I never thought to recheck. Good lesson to always recheck the simple stuff first (shakes head at my own silly moments that I have).

Anyhow, thank you one and all very much for the help.

David

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock