Started on: 09-12-2003 06:07 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: buddycraigg on 10-24-2003 12:19 AM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2003 06:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hi People.
I need to change my turn signals to euro spec; I see that the rear turn signals seem to cancel out the brake light when they are both working simultaneously; is this an optical illusion, and do I have to change the system at the rear end, or just cut the turn signal wire, and connect it to a seperate light unit? (Fiero 1988 4 cylinder)
(Just used up my October subscription!!)
Fierofetish
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2003 06:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
You can rewire to make the lights do whatever you wish. I'm not sure what specs you need to meet, do you need an amber turn signal lens? If so, I would cut a piece of amber lens to replace the back up portion (or whatever section you wish to use) of the tail light section and rewire accordingly.

Place new backup lights in or under the fascia.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2003 10:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
bump
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2003 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
I'm typing this off the top of my head, so bear with me.

One thing you can do is to wire from the center brake light to one or more of the brake/turn signals so that they brake lights stay on. The only problem with this is that I'm not sure the wire can handle the extra current.

The better way to do it is to wire from the brake switch output to the rear brake/turn signals.

In either case, you would have to disconnect the power wire between the turn signals so that one turn signal was getting power through the turn signal switch and one was getting power from the third light or the bypass wires. If you don't do this, your turn signals would stay on when ever the brakes were on.

buddycraigg

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 478
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2003 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
The power runs this route
fuse box
stop light switch
turn signal switch
stop light bulbs

the turn signal switch opens the circuit to which ever side you are turning and closes the turn signal circuit to that side.

If you must have break lights on both sides of the car even if you are turning, I would expect the easiest solution would be to follow steves suggestion. And cut the existing line to one of the bulbs and run a separate line fron the stop light switch to those bulbs

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2003 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
For the rear (on my fastback GT) I don't have to change much for the Inspection.
I take out the PON TIAC light bulbs and I remove the sidemarker lights. Thats only because some Inspectors dont see that kind of lights every day so that could be a problem.
The yellow front parking/turnlights will have to be changed to white parkinglight/orange turnlight. white turns are also allowed here. My yellow faces are only replaced by a white face....it is easy to do

In the NL headlights/drivinglights have to be converted to the H4 standard lights. Mine had them already....

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-12-2003 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks to you all for your constructive advice; when the sun rises tomorrow, I shall sally forth and put it all in action!!!
Fierofetish
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 02:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
good luck to you,

and FieroBUZZ's suggestion of replacing the lens on the back up lights is really makeing me think about building a 4 bulb sequential system. Three bulbs work ok, but 4 would really get attention.

Oh, and an 8 bulb tail light would be cool too.

Great! Just what I needed… another project.

That’s it. FieroBUZZ is getting a "-"

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 02:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

buddycraigg

13603 posts
Member since Jul 2002
One more option with you having an 88 I believe all of the nochies after 84 only had the outer two bulbs as break lights. (the inner most light only has a contact for the dim filament but still used a DC index bulb)

Find some replacement sockets with duel contacts in them, wire the dim filament side to your existing harness and then run an extra line from the stop light switch to the bright filament contact.

I replaced mine on my 85 so I could have all three lights light up for break and turn signal.
OMG
i just remembered something.

WE ALL MAY HAVE MADE A MISTAKE

I cant believe no one caught this. If you take one of the rear turn signal bulbs out of the circuit it will decrease the amp draw, and will most likely cause you to have very slow turn signals and possibly need to replace the flasher with a liter one.

Unplug one of you bulbs and test you turn signal before you cut any wires.

Fie Ro

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fie RoSend a Private Message to Fie RoDirect Link to This Post
I had sequential turnlights on my GT. They worked really fine although the "blink" rate was a bit slower (but that's cool!)
They were made by Frans Godschalk here in the Netherlands. He has a homepage but I haven't got the Url here. His site has nice tech. info for things like these.

However last week I took the sequentials out because I have a new toy

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2003 02:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I don't quite know how you want to wire them but this can save some wiring...

All the later Fiero, 86 and up, already have wiring to C500 for separate brake and turn lights.

There is a jumper between two terminals that if you cut it will split the turn signals from the brakes. Then there is a blue wire you connect the brake lamps to.

Yes, changing the number of lamps will likely change the flash rate. Thermal cans are rather picky about that. The solid state ones don't care much.

If you can find extras of the low profile sockets used... you can insert the missing terminal into the existing socket.

Take the back off carefully. It just snaps on. (Leave as much of the grease alone as you can.)

I can't remember all the details. I think there is a little tab on each terminal that you release from the bulb side. I know that is correct to the ground but I'm not sure on the base terminals.

If you can do all red lamps You could leave the turn lamps completely alone and add the brakes that way.

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 09-13-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2003 08:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Now I am completely confused!!!I don't know what or where c500 is; I guess it is a connector?The main problem is this; I need to have two separate light units-one each side red for brakes,which stay on continually when the brakes are applied, and a separate one for each side which is yellow, and works only for the turn signal.I know that the control for this is on the brake pedal switch.With no indicator on, the brake lights come on; with the indicator on, the switch transfers the signal from the indicator wire to the brake light wire, so the brake light will flash.Need to be able to separate the two systems to operate independently.In desperation,I guess i can run a wire from the front indicator unit to the new back ones, but will the brake lights still flash when I turn on the indicator? Please help!! I now only have two days left to do this!!
Fierofetish
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2003 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
I have looked uder the dash at the footbrake, and found the switch which operates everything.As this is an automatic 4cylinder, I think that one of the two swich connectors, which has 2 wires to it, is something to do with the autobox clutch; the other connector which has threee wires entering, must be the brake/turnlight operator.I disconnected it, and found that the turn signals still worked, but the brake lights didn't. Then tried connecting the terminals in the connector two by two, and found that if I connected the centre wire to the white wire, the brake lights came on.I therefore assumed that the blue wire was the cable for the turn lights and cut it; lo and behold!!everything worked as before!!I give up!!!
Fierofetish
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post09-18-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post

fierofetish

19173 posts
Member since Jul 2003
One last try the wires that go to the lamp socket are: low power terminal for sidelights;the other terminal is for the high power indicator/ brake lights as standard.I have been advised to cut the indicator wire and leave the brake wire attached....the wire connected to the high power terminal is the same wire which supplies the turn signal and brake light
!!! I guess they join together at the brake pedal switch?? i can't understand the Haynes diagram..if somebody can tell me where to disconnect the indicator wire from the brake light wire, so I can connect the indicator wire to the new unit, and leave the brake wire connected to the original light unit, I shall be very happy!! I guess this is alien territory to all you good people in US ofA, because you never have to alter the system!!!Stupid Spanish Laws giving me a real pain in the butt!!
Fierofetish
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2003 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
give me a few more minutes, i and writing up a step by step solution for you.

stay calm and we will help you work it out.

------------------
Buddy "there are two Gs in my name"
Ling = 84SE 350 N2O Poly MrMike seats Sequentials
Julia C = 85GT stock (mostly)
KCFOG
got a broken stud?
car doesn't crank over?

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2003 12:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2003 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by buddycraigg:
and FieroBUZZ's suggestion of replacing the lens on the back up lights is really makeing me think about building a 4 bulb sequential system. Three bulbs work ok, but 4 would really get attention.

Oh, and an 8 bulb tail light would be cool too.

Great! Just what I needed… another project.

That’s it. FieroBUZZ is getting a "-"

it's in and looks cool, so you can have a + now.

buddycraigg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2003 12:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for buddycraiggSend a Private Message to buddycraiggDirect Link to This Post
here's a pic finally

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock