Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  cars up on stands, what other stuff can I do myself?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

cars up on stands, what other stuff can I do myself? by headhunter
Started on: 08-11-2003 02:44 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: paulcal on 08-11-2003 11:54 PM
headhunter

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Well the cars up on stands, would this be a good time to install my new ebrake cable?

Uhhh my battery tray is kinda toast... anyone done anything to fix or replace it?

Any other tips on stuff to do while the whole backend is apart, would be appreciated.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Change the steering stabilizer, check the cooling hoses; might see if you can reach the spark plugs a little better, if they need changing.
b
1986GTV8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986GTV8Send a Private Message to 1986GTV8Direct Link to This Post
Drop your fuel tank & install new hoses!

Mine are toast.

John

Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
your not serious about the spark plugs I hope. Take your engine cover off to change the plugs, you will get done faster with it off.
Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
There is a new tray available from the Fiero Store. We installed one on our 85Se looks like the original

Joe Sokol

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I had heard that the spark plugs were easier to take out if you were able to get to them from underneath, but I've just done it from the top of the engine.
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 05:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

I had heard that the spark plugs were easier to take out if you were able to get to them from underneath, but I've just done it from the top of the engine.

They are easier to get off from the top. From below, the exhaust manifold is in the way (and that is assuming you don't also have the AC system in the way).

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Thanks - I stand corrected.
Ken Wittlief

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 142
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ken WittliefSend a Private Message to Ken WittliefDirect Link to This Post
wait, I remember now - take the engine cover off, then flip the car upside down

then you can lie on your back while you change your plugs. :c)

back to your question: how do your CV boots look?

[This message has been edited by Ken Wittlief (edited 08-11-2003).]

Bigfieroman

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 116
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigfieromanClick Here to visit Bigfieroman's HomePageSend a Private Message to BigfieromanDirect Link to This Post
Ken...what? Why the would you take off the cover? If you can stand doing it without being able to see the rear plugs, you can do it easily without removing anything. Just snake your hand over the intake hose and reach back there, you can do the whole job by feel. All I needed was a few extensions and a u-joint, and I was golden. You can get the passenger side one by just reaching around over there too. The center one is reachable from either side. It is alot easier if you sit on the tail light housing, with legs/feet in the trunk. My best time is 8 minutes for all 6!

------------------
87 GT Automatic, Beretta GTZ Wheels, 225/50-16 Dunlop SP Sport A2s at all corners, Poly cradle bushings, Poly swaybar hardware, new KYB shocks and struts, 100W headlights w/ H4 conversion, BBJ Resin Specialities side scoop, RCC Specialty's Anti-bumpsteer kit, 1" front swaybay, original 7/8" bar installed in back Repainted all silver.
Future mods: Rear control arm poly bushings, Front mounted battery, 1fst2m6 style hood vent.

3800 S/C after all that!

headhunter

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for headhunterSend a Private Message to headhunterDirect Link to This Post
Will look at fiero store... about ebrakes though... is there anything I can do to make it easier to pull and release?

Oh the motor is standing outside car so its very easy to replace plugs, but already did em in car by feel(let car cool down a while).

PFF
System Bot
paulcal

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for paulcalSend a Private Message to paulcalDirect Link to This Post
If the motor is out of the car, clean up the engine bay!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock