my car won't redline in 1st by ThaFieroMunk
Started on: 08-10-2003 02:38 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: ThaFieroMunk on 08-10-2003 02:46 PM
ThaFieroMunk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ThaFieroMunkClick Here to Email ThaFieroMunkSend a Private Message to ThaFieroMunkDirect Link to This Post
Alright, I have been told that a shift kit was put into my car by a previous owner.. I have no way of verifying this info.

So anyways, I have an 87 GT with the 3 speed auto transmission that came with the car. When I have the car in D (Drive) and hold the pedal to the floor the car will rev right up to 4000 RPM and then shift and shift hard. In 2nd gear I can get to redline before the transmission will shift.

The only way for me to get the car to redline in 1st is to put the car in 1st gear and shift manually with my auto tranny. Is this normal for this transmission or do I have a shift kit? I was just reading another thread where someone mentioned that the 2.8 loses most of its power beyond 4500 RPM so that would make it a good thing for me to have? I've been confused about this from the moment I got the car, I couldnt comprehend why someone would have the tranmission shift before redline purposely.

------------------
Alex

1987 GT 2.8 V6

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Peak HP is reached around 4000 rpm for the Fiero. I'm thinking that a shift kit justs changes gears more quickly and the TV cable adjustment sets the time when it shifts. In reality, do you always want to take the car to red line before it shifts? That is really hard on the engine and the 2.8 was not an engine that GM built to last with such abuse.
ThaFieroMunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThaFieroMunkClick Here to Email ThaFieroMunkSend a Private Message to ThaFieroMunkDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

I'm thinking that a shift kit justs changes gears more quickly and the TV cable adjustment sets the time when it shifts. In reality, do you always want to take the car to red line before it shifts? That is really hard on the engine and the 2.8 was not an engine that GM built to last with such abuse.

Well it shifts extremely hard, not smooth like the other autos I've driven. It appears some modifications have been done then (unless someone here tells me different). And this transmission has been abused for most of its life (and its seen almost 284,000KMs or 176,000 miles). The engine is rebuilt and I abuse it just about every day because I love to drive it.

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Old Lar:

TV cable adjustment sets the time when it shifts.

Thats what I am thinking... If you want it to shift at a different time, adjust the TV.
Hope this help you out!!

SmoothGT!!

------------------

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 146
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJClick Here to Email PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
A shift kit also helps an auto trans shift down into passing gear earlier than what it would have without. I remember before ours had a shift kit you would have to give it quite a bit of gas to kick down a gear,now you just have to think about it and it will kick down.
RockChip

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 01:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockChipSend a Private Message to RockChipDirect Link to This Post
You don't want to always shift at redline. I found that if I shifted at the redline I would gain some time on my E.T. I can't tell you where I shifted on my fastest E.T's Because I shift by the sound of the engine instead of the tach. If your car is shifting hard at 4000 in first gear I would probably leave it there. Thats sounds about right for the best launches and I'm sure you have a shift kit if it shifts quite hard.

------------------
'69 AMC Ambassador sst 2dr hardtop 390ci 3 spd B&m shift kit-the cruiser(315hp/427ftlbs)
'86 Fiero GT 4spd, aluminum head 3.1, vented rear brakes, Cavalier seats-got a T3 turbo just need some time
'93 Cavalier Z24 5 spd (engine donor)-parting out
'82 Yamaha Heritage Special 400cc 6 spd, hi-flo exhaust and air filters-For Sale to buy more Fiero stuff

ThaFieroMunk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThaFieroMunkClick Here to Email ThaFieroMunkSend a Private Message to ThaFieroMunkDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help guys. I'm starting to think now that its good that the car shifts at 4000 so I won't worry about that. I'll see about the downshifting part.

Remember, the tranny is a 3spd and like i said, in 1st it won't let itself go above 4000 RPM. so when I'm in 2nd, most likely it won't kick down because at 3 grand it would go back to 1st somewhere in the neighbourhood of 4500 I would assume, but then shift right back becuase of the way the TV cable is adjusted. Therefore I don't think it will do it from 2nd to 1st. I'll check out how easy it kicks down from 3rd to 2nd.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock