Quad 4 question by CARLiTO
Started on: 08-10-2003 12:47 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Erik on 08-10-2003 01:39 PM
CARLiTO

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CARLiTOSend a Private Message to CARLiTODirect Link to This Post
If i buy a quad 4 LO, would i just need to swap the head to make it a HO?

"The powerplant is a 2.3L quad 4 motor. It is a DOHC 4 cyl, producing approx. 150 hp in its current trim. This is, unfortunately, the Low Output version of this engine. I'm trying to find an HO (High Output) head to put on it for a low price. But even the LO version of this motor is better than my old Duke. Despite it's lower displacement, it produces almost twice as much power as the duke, due to its higher revs, and 4 valves per cylinder."

This led me to wonder about the head swap, i took it from this site..
http://www.napisano.net/q4fiero/

I am asking because it's alot cheaper to get a full car with an LO.

thx

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
jlhuber

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jlhuberSend a Private Message to jlhuberDirect Link to This Post
Don't quote me, but I think it is just the cams, chip, and intake between the LO and HO.

Difference between HO and W-41 is cams and chip, so I am told.

For technical info, check out www.bstuff.com or the Yahoo group "quadfourm" http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/quadfourm/ . www.beretta.net might also have the info, but they are a bunch of jackleggs on there.

[This message has been edited by jlhuber (edited 08-10-2003).]

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonSend a Private Message to sandersonDirect Link to This Post
Some of the Low Output Quads have the the High Output heads. You need the head casting number to know for sure. The HO's have different cams and higher compression pistons. I also suspect the chip is different.
Sjuice

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SjuiceClick Here to visit Sjuice's HomePageSend a Private Message to SjuiceDirect Link to This Post
From what I've read the head swap will work. I don't know if there is a difference in the chips or not.
Most of the lo's came with auto tranny's and not the prefered 5-speed. But the cost diffence could buy a number of performance goodies - being that the lo cars are typically $1,000+ cheaper than their HO counterparts

This place sell lots of performance parts for the Quad 4 including HO heads and cams
http://www.mantapart.com/

I hope I can afford some when I rebuild mine.

I should have my swap more or less finished this week - I hope.

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I'll throw in my limited knowledge (didn't Standard have one?)

Head, pistons, cams, intake, ECM calibrations. Probably some parts to make those work.

Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
Hi Carlito,
The pistons are higher compression 10.0:1 for HO versus 9.5:1 for LO so the LO block wont have them stock.I noticed in the website link you posted, that the tube type intake one the LO motor shown should be changed to the HO intake and Im sure it has the tubular exhaust which should be changed to the cast iron HO exhaust as well. Try to get the 086 head as its the best one. It will still make a difference with the upgraded head cams intake and exhausteven without the piston change. Be sure to get the HO chip too.Here is a link with plenty of info on the quad four http://www.automotiverebuilder.com/ar/ar49935.htm

------------------

[This message has been edited by Erik (edited 08-10-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock