Radiator Overflow Tanks by Tom Corey
Started on: 08-09-2003 09:41 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: theogre on 08-10-2003 01:05 PM
Tom Corey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom CoreySend a Private Message to Tom CoreyDirect Link to This Post
I have a custom aluminum radiator installed on my V-8 Archie Fiero. I would also like to go to a billet aluminum overflow tank, too, but all seem to have only a 1 quart capacity. Is that enough for normal driving? Does anyone know of larger volume tanks? I cannot use the stock tank with the aluminum radiator and also use dual gas struts for the hood - not nearly enough room!!

------------------
Tom Corey
Melbourne, FL
87 Green T-Top GT 5Spd SBC ZZ3 V8
88 Yellow T-Top GT, 4.9L Caddy, 4T60E

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post
Jegs has a few listed.
Most of them are simply catch cans though.

Tina

Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 01:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
If the capacity is not enough how about installing a second tank with a radiator line in the bottom and a tank line in the top, no fill cap? That way you wil have a flow through tank that will increase cacacity. You can even hide this tank someplace so it does not look bad.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 02:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
Talk to Chris West at WCF. He has a nice chromed overflow tank on his car... He can tell you the size but it looks pretty big.

------------------

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I don't think a quart tank is going to cut it. Even if it might hold the overflow, it won't give you much if any reserve.

The OE tank provides a reserve to make up for any slow leaks. Depending on the leak it can buy you a huge amount of time to detect a problem.

If a metal tank doesn't come with one already, make a dip stick so you can tell how full it is. Many of the aftermarket ones I've seen don't have an easy way to tell otherwise.

------------------
No good ever came from dark and spooky. Norville "Shaggy" Rogers

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock