Started on: 08-09-2003 05:01 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: TK on 08-10-2003 12:30 PM
jeffndebrus

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 05:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
Ok, let's say you have a 3.4 pushrod
How does the programmer know how to write your chip if you have certain mods?
Would all performance chips be the same? or does each one get written individually for each car? Excuse my extreme ignorance.

thanks Jeff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
The proper way to do it, and get maximum performance, would be to find someone that has a dyno and can burn the chip. The chip contains the fuel curves for the engine. The dyno is used to see if you are getting the maximum performance as it monitors the fuel usage and power output. You might have to have the chip burned several times and rechecked to get the most out of your engine. You could give your specs to someone who burns chips, but you won't get the most performance out of your engine that way, as it won't be optimized to your specific engines and mods.
vortecfiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for vortecfieroClick Here to visit vortecfiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to vortecfieroDirect Link to This Post
monitoring A/F ratios would also be a good idea

------------------
84 Fiero Turbo Vortec 4300 Phantom GT
L35 block
Syclone Intake and ECM
T04B H3 Turbo
http://www.cardomain.com/id/vortecfiero

"Any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 12:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I won't do anything radical unless I have the car in front of me. NA engines are a bit more forgiving of "ball-park" calibrations but boosted engines need to be carefully watched. Of the people I know doing chips, they tend to fall in this same area.

I will do the basics once I know what I'm dealing with (displacement change, injectors, cam specs, etc.) I ask that the owner to scan the car under certain driving conditions to dial in those basics (BLM, WOT O2, idle). Beyond that, it's a shot in the dark.

Certainly, if you have access to a dyno for the more detailed tuning it's very helpful. After that you have to go to the track to do any final power tuning. Dyno tuning will get you 90% there. The proof is at the track. Seat of the pants tuning is good for about 50%. Now take that chip and put it in another car. Will it work as well? Only the dyno and track know.

Beyond that, many tuner comes up with calibrations that work well on a given combination and can feel confident in giving it to you without fine tweaking. Perfect? Probably not, but good enough.

You have to exclude calibration changes that are made just to get the damn car to run from this conversation.

IMHO

TK

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-09-2003).]

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Why not check the post above yours about burning chips. "TK" is a stand-up guy who can really help you out.
b
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bruce:

Why not check the post above yours about burning chips. "TK" is a stand-up guy who can really help you out.
b

Great, there goes my radical image.....Thanks for the comment.

Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
I meant it in a radical way.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Jeremy burned my chip by "seat of the pants" tweaking. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 07:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
hmmmm,
well, I wish Mr Parks's Fiero factory was not 650 miles from here. It seems like this is a specialty thing though. Yes, I live in a town of nearly a million (Jacksonville Fl) and there are lots of mechanics---but to find someone that knows how to do these things. If I take a chance and drive the car as is to Toney (hoping not to do it damage) and get a Greyhound home---Greyhound back in a few weeks---
I guess this is the only way I will get a Fiero that is Right.
TK

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-10-2003 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Jeremy burned my chip by "seat of the pants" tweaking. I'm quite satisfied with how it turned out.

Exactly.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock