how to remove front springs by searcher
Started on: 08-09-2003 02:31 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: USFiero on 10-11-2003 09:06 PM
searcher

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 02:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for searcherSend a Private Message to searcherDirect Link to This Post
okay heres the story i want to lower the front of my car about and inch and half and figured that cutting the springs would be the cheapest and best way to go and i was wondering for an 18 year old boy with limited resources what are the best methods to remove the springs and to cut them and how many coils do i need to cut to lower it 1 to 1.5 inches
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scarecrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScarecrowSend a Private Message to ScarecrowDirect Link to This Post
you'll only have to cut half coil out. saw them with a pneumatic cutter, tho, don't use a torch. i'll leave the actual removal to one of these guys (or girls) who have actually done it. cuz i haven't taken springs out of any fieros (yet).
RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
Man you got me all excited that there was another Eau Claire WI memebr, but then I looked agian and saw that you your are from MI. oh well free bump. you'll need a rodney dickman ball joint separator. www.rodneydickman.com look under tools.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/033832.html

here is some info on getting the springs out.

Edited to add link.

[This message has been edited by RacinRob (edited 08-09-2003).]

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2003 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
I'm doing the same thing now, although I will probably break down and buy the rear lowering springs rather than cut them because of the way they are made and I don't want to mess with the spring rate in the rear (the fronts are safer to alter). I understand that one coil will result in a little more than one inch drop, nearly 1.5 inches.

This has turned into a more involved project than I intended. I have removed the lower a-arms and discovered one tie rod is bent and the rubber bushings are wasted. A lot of PFF folks have reported that the lower ball joint can fail catastrophicaly (snap) and since I got my car used and abused I'll be replacing those now too. So here's what I've done:

Back the Fiero onto a pair of steel ramps.

Loosen but do not remove front wheel bolts.

Jack the front end up and support the front of the car with at least two jackstands.

Remove the wheels.

Hose all the bolts you can get at on the a-arms, shocks, brakes even stuff you don't think you're going to remove with PB Blaster.

Have a snack, come back and soak them again.

Remove the brake calipers (I'm replacing mine as well as the hoses) pull the rotors off (new ones going on mine as well) and remember how the bearings go on.

Remove the end links for the sway bar. I removed mine because it made it easy to get at the other suspension peices, and I was replacing the rubber bushings with polyurethane.

This part is repeated on one the the other side of the car...

remove the nuts holding the lower A-arm in place but do not pull the bolts out (yet)

Loosen but do not remove the tie rod castle bolts. Use a tie rod removal tool or ball joint removal tool to get the tie rod off the spindle.

Place a hydraulic jack under the A-arm and put enough pressure on it to raise the suspension a little. Position the jack straight out from the side of the Fiero.

Remove the shock absorber.

Loosen but do not remove the castle bolt from the ball joint. Using a Ball joint removal tool (Either you bought one, borrowed one, or got one on loan from an auto parts store) 'pop' the joint loose, then remove the castle nut(s). Now you can remove the tie rod.

Now stand away from the Fiero as you lower the hydraulic jack. You will see the spring bow as the arm goes beyond it's normal travel. Now, mine didn't 'spring out' when it got all the way down (that seems dangerous, huh?) oh no, it was stuck. I wound up getting a shovel handle putting it against the lower a-arm and whacking it with a hammer all the while terrified the spring was going to get me. This is probably dangerous so you may want to chain the spring to the a-arm so it won't come loose when this happens. Maybe I'm lucky. That thing came off with a loud "BOING" and just hung there...

Now pull the bolts out fo the a-arm (remember how they go together) and remove the a-arm. You'll have to find a shop who can remove and install the ball joint using and arbor press. The bushings might require burning out to remove them. I'd stay with rubber replacements unless you won't drive the car long distances and don't mind noise in the front end. Polyurethane bushings can increase the vibration sent through the steering system and they tend to squeak over time. You'll have to clean the a-arms up some, maybe paint them.

Now to get the springs off, I wound up pushing on the bottom of the spring with my foot while using a crowbar to pry the top out of the suspension crossmember. It was a little bit of a struggle to get it out. Cut the bottom of the coil since the top is slightly tapered.

That's where I'm at, since I am getting Tie rods, ball joints poly ball joint/tie rod covers to replace the rubber and torn ones and I haven't got the new bushings in the a-arm yet. I expect the springs will be a little easier to get back on since they will be shorter. New shocks, bushings, brakes, tie rods and ball joints are going to go a long way towards a better riding car!

I'd consult with he Haynes manual on this procedure in case I overloooked or failed to mention anything.

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2003 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post

USFiero

4873 posts
Member since Mar 2002
Not to hijack your topic, but I had some time off today, not a lot of distractions, so I went out to the garage to 'play' with my fiero. I knew that if you rotated the upper ball joints you can get a little less camber since cutting the springs would increase it, but found my balljoints pretty stiff in spite of having lubed them when I got them. So I plucked them off. First you loosen the 15mm bolts on top and underneath the upper a-arm and pull the cotter pin and loosen the castle nut then once again with the handy-dandy ball joint seperator POP!

So then I think - in for a penny, in for a pound and once again with that wonder juice PB Blaster soak and loosen the 19mm nut and bolt on the upper a-arm. Now this is important... inside the upper a-arms are spacers that adjust the caster on a Fiero. If you get these mixed up you will have a big headache re-aligning your car once it goes back on the road. I twist-tied mine to the appropriate side of each arm. The rubber bushings aren't as bad as the lower ones are, but they don't look good. So now a trip down to the quarter-powered car wash to clean my suspension parts. I've sprayed and scrubbed the springs, upper and lower control arms, spindles, sway bar and some other odds and ends with simple green and next will power wash then paint them. Now I need new upper, lower balljoints, tie rod ends and bushings. Sheesh, these 'simple' projects become major in a hurry!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock