Is this a useless idea? by Ferrari_cdn
Started on: 08-07-2003 04:17 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Tina on 08-09-2003 11:21 PM
Ferrari_cdn

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
Since I'm going to install a 3800SC or a 350, I'm sure the engine compartment gets pretty hot in the summers. Sometimes I get stuck in traffic and I wonder about the heat going on in that place. A thought came across my mind but I just pushed it away thinking its a ridlicious idea. Then it came back to me so I thought I'll post.

Even with my 4 cyl, my engine compartments gets pretty hot. Would putting two fans on each side of the vents controlled by a switch in the console, help lower temperature in the compartment and consequently lower water temperature? I didn't think it would actually lower engine temperature, but only air. The fans would either be sucking hot air out of the vents, or blow cool air down in. (I think it would be much more sense to blow it out since heat rises). It would always be off unless traffic comes to a crawl or when its pretty hot out. That way there is air circulation in the compartment area.

My initial thought is its a dumb idea. But what do you guys think?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
D-Ri2k4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D-Ri2k4Send a Private Message to D-Ri2k4Direct Link to This Post
the way the compartment and car is designed (i believe) is so that hot air comes out of those vents... hence why the dual over-the-roof scoops is kinda stupid... but i dont see why two fans directed to pull air out of the engine compartment wouldn't help out a bit... just make sure to get a high enough cfm fan so it isn't actually restricting the flow...

-Daniel

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
most of the heat in there is from the exhaust, so ceramic coating or header wrap on the exhaust would probably do more good.
Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
Yeah the heat does rise but it doesn't move fast. Fans would suck it a lot quicker than it can move out on its own. Have you ever opened your decklid after driving in a HOT day? Its hot enough to cook steaks on Let alone a V8.

(I know I'm exaggerating but you get my point )

[This message has been edited by Ferrari_cdn (edited 08-07-2003).]

Graudefas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GraudefasSend a Private Message to GraudefasDirect Link to This Post
If you *do* install fans, they should blow UP, since that's the direction of normal airflow. The way Fiero cooling works is: A huge vacuum is created behind the window which sucks large volumes of hot air through the engine compartment from the underneath of the car (some from the radiator waste heat is included, but due to turbulence the rise isn't much. Probably less than most cars; where ALL the radiator waste heat is dumped onto the engine. I think it's a clever design.)

And, one of these days, I'm going to probe several cars' engine compartments and take their temperatures. I'm betting the Fiero is actually BETTER than most; what with wide open (sort of) vents right on top of the engine.

D-Ri2k4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D-Ri2k4Send a Private Message to D-Ri2k4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Graudefas:

If you *do* install fans, they should blow UP, since that's the direction of normal airflow.

ya... thats what i was sayin... just make sure it sucks air out of the compartment and get a high cfm fan so it doesn't restrict flow at speed...

-Daniel

revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
I have these in my stang scoop. 6 Comp fans

Works very well !

Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 05:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
Does that actually help lower temperature? Is it always on or activitated by switch?

I plan on having interior, exterior, and engine compartment temperature mounted somewhere in my car so I can keep tabs on everything

DjDraggin

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DjDragginSend a Private Message to DjDragginDirect Link to This Post
by your name I'm takin a guess you have a rebody. I've seen a few meras and 308s with engine fan setups in the rear vents. I found them once but forgot. they are smaller import car dual fans, one per side so they had 4 fans! I was going to do this mod but I continue to have to spend money on important issues. Its not hard to install from what I've seen but It would have to be taxing on the battery, Which I have about maxed out with addon lighting, sub amps, and what not.
Not sure if they pushed or pulled but the fan motors were down towards the engine. Best of luck.. L8

------------------

Who ever said working on Fieros wasn't any fun?? They must not of had a rebody!

Ferrari_cdn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 02:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Ferrari_cdnSend a Private Message to Ferrari_cdnDirect Link to This Post
No I don't have a rebody. But thanks for the input
stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post08-09-2003 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Suew it would help. especially in slow traffic.Get two fans that'll fit under the vents and have them blow upwards through them. Small radiator fans would probibly work great. If you don't want to use fans behind the vents then get boat fans. Here's a link to a pretty good one that may work good in other than stock locations. Even using ducting to direct air to key points on the engine.

purl=http://www.go2marine.com/frameset.jsp?keywords=blower&searchType=regularSearch&servletPath=%2Fg2m&action=DoSearch&x=9&y=9] 240 CFM 12 volt 5 Amp Inline blower $37.21[/url
230CFM 12volt 3.5Amp Inline 4" blower

These things would work great on those slow A/C fans!

PFF
System Bot
Tina

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 05:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Ferrari_cdn:My initial thought is its a dumb idea. But what do you guys think?

I don't think so.

I was forced to come up with a solution to my rising engine temps at lower speeds (5 - 15 mph)when done for longer periods of time.

a.k.a. Cruising around at the Carcraft Summer Nationals.

Originally posted by Ferrari_cdn:Does that actually help lower temperature? Is it always on or activitated by switch?

They work like a charm.
Perma-Cool #771-19010 1250cfm Dia. 10"
For now I mounted one on the right,the one on the left coming soon I hope.
Brackets for the trans side are already made as well.
Screwed into the stock vents, quick disconnects close to the actual fan to allow removal of the vents if needed, attached to a Flex-a-Lite temp sensor part# 400-31147 mounted on the trunk side of the engine bay and set up to turn on automaticly when the watertemp reaches 210 degrees.
Oh and yes, you definitly want it to blow the air out.

Tina
BTW Due to the slots on the vents being at an angle, the air actually blows straight back.

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 08-09-2003).]

Scarecrow

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ScarecrowSend a Private Message to ScarecrowDirect Link to This Post
outstanding! since where i live is basically uphill whichever way you go, my duke heats up quick. i've thought about doing this more than once. now i'm gonna. thanx
FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 03:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
This is a neat thread..I posted a similiar Question about fans few weeks back..I just got the fans, and I'll post pics when I'm done...

there was a nice example of fans in the vents awhile back, with pics...couldn't seem to find them thought. The fans were painted red to match the car...

------------------

FieroRumor

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post

FieroRumor

35007 posts
Member since Dec 2001
"I plan on having interior, exterior, and engine compartment temperature mounted somewhere in my car so I can keep tabs on everything"

Radio shack has a cheap digital thermometer that can be gutted and modified to show engine temps... I picked one up for 6 bucks..I'll try to post pics of it tomorrow...

Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroRumor:

"I plan on having interior, exterior, and engine compartment temperature mounted somewhere in my car so I can keep tabs on everything"

Radio shack has a cheap digital thermometer that can be gutted and modified to show engine temps...

Thats a whole lot of senders you got planned there.
Why not just install a sensor that kicks on automaticly when things are getting on the warm side?

By engine temp, do you mean water temp or cylinder temp?

Tina

[This message has been edited by Tina (edited 08-09-2003).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Removing the lower part of your trunk and putting the exhaust there also helps a lot as the biggest cause of heat is the cat especially mounted in the factory location, so mount it behind the engine where it should have been all along. Did this on my series II 3800SC Fiero and it works great. Dan
Tina

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-09-2003 11:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinaSend a Private Message to TinaDirect Link to This Post

That should help explain things a little.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock