Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Who is using rubber mounts on their 3800 swap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Who is using rubber mounts on their 3800 swap? by Rare87GT
Started on: 08-06-2003 03:28 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: StansGT on 08-08-2003 07:43 AM
Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTClick Here to Email Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Just seeing who has used rubber lower mounts over poly mounts. Some people have been telling me that I am going to have extreme stress on the tranny and cradle with this setup and others say that the rubber mounts can't hold up to the torque of the 3800. Which way is the best way to go? I already ordered the 3 poly lower mounts and the 1 poly front mount. Just curious to know who is using poly and who is using rubber and what problems people have ran into. Let me know. btw I am using a 5spd.

------------------

Maroon 1987 GT 5 spd: 2.8L
Ferrari Red 1988 Formula 5 spd: 3.4L

My Website: http://www.members.cox.net/rare88/

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 333
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 03:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeClick Here to Email skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
I started out with rubber mounts on my 3800 SC with a 5 speed Getrag. I then installed WCF poly mounts. I really got a lot of engine vibration and jerking around when lugging the engine. The WCF mounts also raised the engine 3/4 inches. When I installed the intercooler I needed that 3/4 clearance back. I removed the poly and reinstalled the stock rubber mounts. I like them much better and the car feels more civilized. Even though I now have more engine power the rubber is holding up fine.

------------------

Red 88 GT T-Top 3800 INTERCOOLED SUPERCHARGED
White 88 GT Stock
Please give me a rating if you appreciate my contribution.
History of Skitimes Car UPDATED 6-20-03

Rare87GT

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 172
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 03:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rare87GTClick Here to Email Rare87GTSend a Private Message to Rare87GTDirect Link to This Post
Is it a pita to change the mounts once the engine is installed. I was going to say if I needed to install the other mounts if its hard to do once the motor is in the car.
skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 04:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeClick Here to Email skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
No not really hard at all.
Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 07:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilClick Here to Email PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
I have rubber mounts and they have held up for 75,000 miles so far.
StansGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTClick Here to Email StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
I had rubber, then I put my own steel hard mounts, and I like it. It does do the base idle shimmy on the dash a bit, but its still a comfertable ride with no vibration from anywhere else. I like the tight feeling, and havent noticed any frame distortion or cracking. I did notice the effort for burnouts was reduced 10 fold, but thats a good thing, also the bumpsteer and overall handling seemed to better with the hard mount no lateral movement setup.

I learned also, if you have ANY viberation.. YOUR FLYWHEEL ISNT RIGHT! My 3800 sounds and feels like it isnt running, thats how smooth it runs.

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 ;)

skitime

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeClick Here to Email skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StansGT:

I learned also, if you have ANY viberation.. YOUR FLYWHEEL ISNT RIGHT! My 3800 sounds and feels like it isnt running, thats how smooth it runs.

That depends on your idle speed. I feel some vibration at 700rpm but none at 900 and up with the poly. None at any speed with the rubber.

TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2003 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I only use rubber mounts on my swaps. Not a single problem and vibration free. One has 90k on it.

[This message has been edited by TK (edited 08-06-2003).]

Korey J

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Korey JClick Here to Email Korey JSend a Private Message to Korey JDirect Link to This Post
I've rode in StansGT and I must say he is right! You can't even tell the car is running. If you have your flywheel balanced and it is installed right you won't feel a thing. His car sounds and feels like a Caddy while at a stand still, but just wait for the gas lol.

Korey

------------------
"88" 3800 SC V6 Coupe
"84" 4Cyl coupe parts car
sponsered by = Car Quest

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 07:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillClick Here to Email WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by StansGT:
I did notice the effort for burnouts was reduced 10 fold, but thats a good thing,

So you're sayin it's a lot easier to break the tires loose with solid mounts? Have you taken your car to the drag strip? Do you know how your 60' times compare before solid mounts and after?

GT40 Kit 3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT40 Kit 3.8 SCClick Here to Email GT40 Kit 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to GT40 Kit 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
I installed a 3.8 S/C Auto, using the ACE kit with rubber mounts. They flex so much that the right side inner CV joint would hit the cradle. (a real mess when the boot gets knocked off). I installed a link between the cradle and the rear of the engine to prevent that from happening.
A few years ago, I installed a 5.0 TPI V-8 in my 88. Solid mount to the cradle and of course the 88 cradle has no rubber mounts to the chassis. No vibration at all. I have considered solid mounts, just haven't done it yet.
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 09:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboyClick Here to Email batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
I think we need to distinquish between 84-87 and 88 due to the cradle bushings. If you have rubber (or better yet poly) cradle bushings, then poly or solid engine mounts are fine. It's when you have solid cradle bushings that the motor mounts start becoming more important. The folks that consider the Fiero a sports car and like for it to handle good and drive in a "spirited" manner will forgive a little drivetrain vibration. Those folks that like comfort and use the car as a daily driver might prefer the rubber mounts. Personally, I have a couple other everyday vehicles, so my Fiero is a playtoy, thus I don't mind having a very firm solid ride. I'd probably go with the poly, but that's entirely up to you.
TK

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post08-07-2003 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
I use GM rubber and I've never had a problem with sagging or flexing (excessively). I have run into that problem with AM mounts (many from India, not that they can't make a good part) so I just spend the money on the better mounts and replace the rubber parts before they fall apart.

I do run poly cradle bushings, that seems to make a big difference in the Fiero. I'd like to try solid mounting the cradle sometime.

I'm certainly not forced to drive the car like grandpa with rubber mounts and bushings.

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 360
Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2003 02:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageClick Here to Email Darth FieroSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
I am running all rubber and I certainly don't drive it like grandpa. Then again, I am using 75 Dodge truck mounts doubled up so I guess it is almost as hard as poly. for $4 a mount a zone why not double up? All 4 lower corners have mounts plus I am running a doggy bone center mounted in back.

------------------
1987 Fiero Coupe 3800 Series II Intercooled Turbo
1987 Trans Am GTA 5.7L Superram 4L60-E
1985 Fiero SE 2.8 (soon to have an L36)

Fiero-related Conversions Performed:
1985 SE 3800 Series 1 SC 4T60-E
1987 Coupe 3800 Series II Turbocharged 4T60-E
1987 SE 3.4 TDC 5-speed
1984 Coupe SBC V8 non-OD to 4T60 OD swap, electric power steering install
1985 SE 3800 Series II Supercharged 4T60-E

http://dtcc.cz28.com

StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-08-2003 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTClick Here to Email StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
Im not sure about the time differnce with the hard mounts. I hard mounted everything on my swap, includeing the 87 cradle to the car.. which completely hard mounted to my frame. I still like,, I do however wonder about the hard shifts that may be harsh on the tranny internals. Its still alot of fun though

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, 17" 245-40's, "RWD" V6SC>V8 ;)

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock