more paint ?s by MXRose3
Started on: 08-03-2003 02:48 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: MXRose3 on 08-04-2003 04:54 PM
MXRose3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MXRose3Send a Private Message to MXRose3Direct Link to This Post
i'm in the middle of painting a body panel on my car with Acrylic Enamel paint / reducer and hardner. How long do i let final coat dry before i clear coat it? Also how many clear coats does anybody recommend?

Bob

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 05:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
confused here. They havent made Acrylic Enamel clear for about 10 years. Are you puting urathane clear over acrylic enamel?
If so, put it on immediately after it tacks up, just like a coat of paint. If you wait too long, it will wrinkle up like paint stripper hit it. Good luck.

Otherwise, you have to let it dry a week or so, scuff it with scotchbrite and spray the clear. 2 or 3 coats of clear is plenty, depending on how much color sanding your going to do. Dont put the clear on real wet or it still will wrinkle up.

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 08-03-2003).]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2749Click Here to visit 2749's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2749Direct Link to This Post
Generally, acrylic Enamel does not take a clear coat. Generally, you use a base coat thinned with reducer first. After the proper 'flash' time you add the clear.

However, for some one stage paints like DuPont Centari, you have to use a special hardener if you want to clear. Why put a clear over an already shiny paint? The base coat is a flat paint and clear is what adds the shine.

------------------

MXRose3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-03-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MXRose3Send a Private Message to MXRose3Direct Link to This Post
it is an acrylic enamel clear.... it was recommended for a nice shine to the already shiny paint, so i did it. I waited about 20-30 mins after the last coat of paint (with reducer and hardner) and put 2 coats of clear on. Looks pretty good, but i still need to give it a day of drying.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Id like to know the brand. I do have a use for some occasional Acrylic enamel clear in spot jobs. None of the paint suppliers here make it anymore, because like he said above, normally you dont clear glossy, single stage colors anymore. Sherwin Williams last had it in about '92.
Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 02:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post
God, I hate acrylic enamel.....
MXRose3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-04-2003 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MXRose3Send a Private Message to MXRose3Direct Link to This Post
got it off ebay. Its Hawthorne Rayflex brand. So far it doesnt look bad.... i'm just a beginner painter and wasnt looking for an expert job w/ high quality paint or anything.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock