Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How do I remove the body panel with the air intake in it?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How do I remove the body panel with the air intake in it? by naskie18
Started on: 07-28-2003 10:51 PM
Replies: 4
Last post by: FieroV6Dude on 07-29-2003 05:19 AM
naskie18

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post
Subject says it all....how do I get off the quarter panel that has the air intake? I need to replace mine. Just looking at it makes me think that the screws holding it on are hidden under the molding, but I'm not sure. And its an 85GT, so I've got the ground effects, also, not sure if that has any impact on how I'd go about removing the panel. As always, thanks for the help

------------------
Nick www.naskie18.com AIM: Naskie182010

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
to take the panel off you have to remove the lower ground effects, take off the moulding and take off some screews and rivits..... but if your just doing the air box you can take the wheel off and take the wheel well plastic thing off (few plastic screws) and get everything out that way - thats what i do

Kyle

naskie18

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 194
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for naskie18Click Here to visit naskie18's HomePageSend a Private Message to naskie18Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by KRMFiero:

to take the panel off you have to remove the lower ground effects, take off the moulding and take off some screews and rivits..... but if your just doing the air box you can take the wheel off and take the wheel well plastic thing off (few plastic screws) and get everything out that way - thats what i do

Kyle

So, I guess the next question is how do I get the ground effects off? I have to replace the panel itself, not doing anything to the airbox. Thanks for the help so far

Nick

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
wow its been awhile since I took them off. honistly I do not remember.
There is a 2? screws and a clip on the front fender and I think maybe a clip or 2 in the rear wheel well and for some reason I think it just pulls off but there may of been some rivits or something, just take a look eery panel on these cars a very simple to figure out how to come off if you look at them.
FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 05:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
To remove the quarter...

1. Remove the lower Aero Rocker by first popping out the 3 plates in your door sill. (2 small ones at the ends, large one in the middle.)

2. Using a punch, knock out the plastic rivets, there are 3 of them.

3. Using the same punch, knock out the 6 plastic rivets on the bottom of the rocker that hold it to the floor pan and the quarter panel.

4. Remove 2 screws, one in each wheelwell.

You now have to use a screwdriver to release the locking tabs that lock the rocker to the bottom of the aero molding on the front fender and rear quarter. Now you should be able to pull the rocker straight out toward you.

To Remove the quarter panel.

1. Remove the screw holding the back edge of the molding in the wheelwell.
2. Carefully pop the molding off of the rear clip. Using a small screwdriver try to release the front clip from the quarter panel.
3. Using a pair of sidecutters or long nose pliers, pull the "plug" that holds the molding on the inside of the doorjamb.

5. Remove the remaing screws that fasten the rear wheelwell inner fender liner to the quarter panel. Also remove the 2 screws that hold the intake grill, remove the grill and rubber grommet

6. Using your punch and hammer again, knock out the plastic rivets that were hidden behind the molding.

The quarter panel should now slide forward and off the car.

You are going to need plastic rivets and most likely replacement clips to put the trim back on, you can get them here; http://www.ardeldistributors.com/category.html?UCIDs=414669%7C656537

Get Extra Rivets!!!

I just finished a complete paint job on my 86 so I have VIVID memories of how it all comes apart and goes together!!

Glenn

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock