IAC... how to get the ECM to reset it? by summerjim
Started on: 07-28-2003 07:30 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: avengador1 on 07-29-2003 09:17 AM
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so I sprayed some throttle body cleaner into the TB. Seemed to smooth out the idle a bit. Figured it wouldn't hurt to spray a little more, until the check engine light came on.

Code 35 is being set (87 GT 2.8 V6). I removed the IAC and pushed the pintle in (so the distance was less than 1 1/8") and reinstalled. The car refused to idle below 1600 after you took off with it. It would eventually go down to about 1200, but no lower.

After replacing the IAC with another one (used, but known good) the idle pretty much sits at 1200-1300 now. It doesn't surge up at all anymore, just won't go below 1200-1300. If it sits idling for a few minutes the check engine light will come on.

I'm at wits end with this thing right now. How do I get it to reset itself or fix this?

Thanks,
jim

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
From my factory service manual for my 87 V6: If idle is too high, stop engine. Ignition on. Ground diagnostic terminal. Wait a few seconds for the IAC to seat then disconnect the IAC. Start engine. If idle speed is above 800+/- 50 rpms, locate and correct vacuum leak.
87gt5speed

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 09:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87gt5speedSend a Private Message to 87gt5speedDirect Link to This Post
My new IAC said that cruising in O\D at 40 MPH it will reset....not sure if that is correct....definitely do what AvenGador. said 1st!

------------------
---"Didn't those catch fire?"---
---"Why didn't you get an MR2?"---
---"The engine is WHERE?"---
---Liking Fiero's is a lonely business---

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Both are good answers.
summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2003 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

From my factory service manual for my 87 V6: If idle is too high, stop engine. Ignition on. Ground diagnostic terminal. Wait a few seconds for the IAC to seat then disconnect the IAC. Start engine. If idle speed is above 800+/- 50 rpms, locate and correct vacuum leak.

What section/page is that on? I couldn't find it in the service manual.

Thanks!

summerjim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
I tried your instructions, avengador, but no luck. I bought a new IAC this morning and installed it per the instructions included. The pintle was less than 1 1/8" so I didn't touch it. Ran the car up to 40+MPH and then came to a stop. Idle sat at 1200RPM, and then about a minute later the check engine light came on.

Code 35 is still being set.

Any ideas?

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I'll get back to you tonight. You probably are getting a code set because of the high idle. The procedure I posted will make the pintle move fully foward till it is completely seated. If this is not happening you have other problems.

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 07-29-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock