Started on: 07-19-2003 10:23 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: theogre on 07-25-2003 04:12 PM
fierofetish

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2003 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Sorry to start a new thread on an old subject, but I still don't have a solution to my problem.I casnt find the relays or actuators for the headlights on my 86 2m4...They are not mounted in any of the previous suggestions, and the lefthand(driver's side) works, but the righthand side doesn't; I have checked the motor and repaired and tested it on the good side where it works.To recap, the old motor was burned out, and I guess the relay and actuators are as well, but I can't find them!! The connector to the motor goes into a loom, which then joins into the main loom under the rhs headlight.I have checked the fusible links, and they seem ok.I am sure the relays etc are not mounted in any visible situation in the spare wheel compartment,nor on the mounting frame as suggested.Can anybody help?
ps I have just acquired my two dream cars(2m4 and gt 2.8 v6) but I am new to them.I have been told some replacement parts are un-obtainable now..can anybody take the time to tell me what parts are unavailable?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Just to make sure, you can't find this as in "in your car", right? Not as "in a store"?

I have to leave for an hour or so but when I come back, I'll pull the factory manual for 86 Fieros and see if I can help you. You probably will get a response from someone else before then, but I'll check anyway.

BTW, wasn't it you the one who brought a Fiero from Germany recently?

Good luck!
Benno

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
From what I remember, when you remove the side cover off the moter,It's a one piece unit that clips in and looks nothing like a standard relay (and is fulley exposed).The relay and motor brushes are attached to a plastic piece that just pops right in and out (trying to go by memory,this was at least 6 years ago on an 84 Fiero).You might get a better view from Jdlog.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Guys!!
I have checked the old motor, and it is just that; a motor with a gearbox, and two cables going to a connector into the loom.When I connect to the working side, the motor spins for about 15 seconds and then stops; this seems to indicate that the system is controlled by a relay or timer? I am just going to check the vin number and find out the exact build date; maybe this is relevant, because the date on the registration book is the date of importation, not build year, so maybe it is a lot older than I thought. Yes, JDLog!! I am the one who bought the gt in Germany! Unfortunately it is still there, because I don't have time to go and check it out. I was lucky in one way: the Seller reduced the price to $1000 from $4000 because of the fault!! That leaves me with money to play with, and the car has only been used during the summer periods, and so has only 38.000 miles genuine on the clock!!I guess the problem was caused by laying the car up for 6 months without runnung it, and it appears that one injector is stuck open, flooding the cylinder.Is there any way to check if the injector is us.,or can you repair them?
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post

I just scanned a couple of pages from the service manual. They can be found here: http://www.nicx.com/fierohlp/ where I'll leave them for a couple of days. I put 2 versions of each file. The ones ending in numbers(.jpg)=1meg+ in file size (better detail). But first try the ones ending in "b.jpg" (<200k in file size).

86FieroHlightCircuit1.jpg - Circuit diagram
86FieroHlightCircuit2.jpg - location drawing
86FieroHlightCircuit3.jpg - location drawing (figure E & F).

Have fun!
Benno

(After I get arrested for dissiminating copyrighted info, you'll have to send some local Paella on Christmas.)

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-19-2003 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hi Benno!!
Thanks so much for the diagrams etc; they have proved to me that my Fiero is different!I have now gathered that the "actuator" is the motor!! But the relay is not where the diagram shows...it has the actuator cable connector, but the relay is not there!! The diagram shows the relay fixed to the framework of the light support:there is a mounting point for it alright, but no relay...perhaps somebody has changed the wiring and the motors, and the relay is situated somewhere else...maybe the system is off a newer model...I shall just have to take the loom apart and trace it all the way back to the switch....uuuuuuunnnnnnnnnnhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!the relay MUST be there somewhere.PS. sorry for the delay in replying...had to go to work...unsociable hours being a Musician!!
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
It is dark already here. In the morning I am going to compare the diagrams in the book with what's in my car. Just to make sure.

It would not surprise me, however, if someone re-routed wiring in your car's past. Mine has at least 2 (and probably more undiscovered) patchy electrical fixes that caused me some headeaches.

I'll let you know if I find anything else.

G/L

Benno

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 03:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Had a sudden thought b4 going to bed...what if someone "upgraded" you headlight system to 87> or Firebirds of the time.

Look around and search the older postings/archives for info on this type of conversion.

Benno

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hi Benno; part of my problem has been rectified!! On checking the vin no.,I have discovered my car is an 88 not 86, and so the headlights are controlled by a module; still can't find it!!I checked out the archives, but can't find anything on location..any more ideas??
Thanks again for your time

[This message has been edited by fierofetish (edited 07-21-2003).]

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:
On checking the vin no.,I have discovered my car is an 88 not 86, and so the headlights are controlled by a module; still can't find it!!

The stock location for the 87-8 headlight module is in front of the left-front wheel, between the wheel well liner and the fascia.

------------------
-d.

1985 2M6 SE
1998 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
1968 Mustang (long-term project)
1988 VW Jetta (winter beater)
1991 Arctic Cat 550 EXT
...a toy for every season. ;D

Ratings don't make the world go 'round, but they are nice to have. If you find what I have to say helpful, please click on that Rate this member link over to the left and give me a positive.

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-21-2003 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Hi Everybody, and thanks very much for all your kind assistance: I am now getting used to the site, and found a wealth of help in the Forum Archives...I am so thankful for this great Fiero Site, and will recommend it to everybody..
Best wishes
Nick Cann (Fiero Fetish)
PFF
System Bot
Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
Boy, are you lucky! How often do we get to buy a car that is 2 years newer than we thought.

The other good thing, once you fix it, that HD system will last longer than if it were an 86 model.

Have fun!
Benno

fierofetish

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post07-25-2003 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
Well, thanks to all you Tech Experts out there, I have finally located the Headlight control module, taken it apart, and confirmed my fears; the relay mounted in the module has a burnt wire in it.I replaced the wire, but it still doesn't work.It says "do not repair- replace with new module"...I believe that one of the ICs our transistors on the relevant side is gone, and wonder if anybody has tried to replace it, inspite of that dreadful warning!!If not,and it can't be repaired, has anyone got a spare one lying around to sell? Wish I lived in the States!!!I would love to visit some of those wreckers yards out there!!Our wreckers are filled with Jap cr-pFiats and other unimpressive stuff!!
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post07-25-2003 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
There are notes about the Gen 2 HL motor system in my cave.... link at top of page.

Yes, in addition to current sense shut off... there is a timer. The circuit will shut off after X seconds whether the motor is connected or not.

you've already found that the module is dead...

You can go to the salvage yards and look for good used ones, attempt to repair the one you have, or pay up around $150-200 for a new one.

I believe the module is GM # 16523917 and that it is still available thru dealers and www.gmpartsdirect.com I'm not 100% sure on that number. You can also get it thru Fiero wh(st)ore.

I would try looking for used ones.... It's probably the least expensive option. The same module is used in all Gen 2 motor systems in all other GM cars from that time period. Sunbird Firebird/TA etc.... In Sunbird the module is on the left strut tower in the engine bay. Very easy to get at.

The modules don't go out all that often. if you grab a couple used ones the odds are good both will work.

I think IndianaRestoGuy has repaired a few. If you want to try that you could PM him if he doesn't see this thread...

------------------
Nobody loves me. Everybody hates me. Guess I'll just go eat worms.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock