Started on: 07-08-2003 11:27 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 07-12-2003 04:12 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 11:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I thought that this might be a good thread to start out.

This friday I am going to be using a small dry nitrous shot on my car. 50-75hp shot. It will be shot from the intake tube into the TB.

I have installed 19# injectors and an adjustable FPR so that I can run the car pig rich if needed.

I am going to drop my timming down to about 8' BTDC.

I have the full MSD ignition (Blaster coil, Superconductor wires and 6AL Box)

I will be running 94OCT Supreme gas. (94oct is pump gas here in BC)

It is supose to be pretty warm on Friday 26-30C. (thats about 89F) I already have a 180F thermo in the car and have water wetter in the system.

Also I am using the 2 pulley underdrive kit for the alternator and crank.

Does anyone have any recomedations on other tweaks, hell can anyone give me any tips on running nitro on a V6 4spd Fiero.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd
www.david.westcoastfieros.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Seems you just about have it covered. Also, did u get spark plugs that are 1-2 steps colder?? Seems everyone loves the NGK UR5.

Other than that, slam that thing into WOT, and spray the hell out of it!

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post07-08-2003 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
datalogger and a/f guage.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stuartlowery:

datalogger and a/f guage.

I have an Air Fuel Gauge. Autometer that seems to work pretty well.

I do not have a datalogger though.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Capt Fiero

7657 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Seems you just about have it covered. Also, did u get spark plugs that are 1-2 steps colder?? Seems everyone loves the NGK UR5.

Other than that, slam that thing into WOT, and spray the hell out of it!

Thank You. I am planning too, LOL. On my drive home, I was imagining what it is going to be like and trying to practice just how I am going to lift from the gas to release the nitrous switch, and then grap each gear as quick as I can. I plan to shift 500 rpms before my 6000rpm rev limiter kicks in. I have the MSD chip set at 6000 so I dont hit the stock 6200rpm cutoff.

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 08:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Is the cut off on the ignition or on the nitrous? I had a MSD RPM activated switch set to cut off at 5800 in case of a miss shift, and just to have for added benefit.

The thought of anything happening at that RPM plus the nitrous didn't seem healthy. Its a good thing to wire in just for the added safety.

My nitrous was wired to the TB for WOT only, so as soon as that pedal hit the floor, PSSSSSSSS there the power was.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Sorry I worded that poorly. I do not have an MSD Window Switch Yet. I have the 6AL that shuts the motor down before the stock rev limiter is reached. The MSD at least does not shut it down totally. It just holds the revs at 6000, where the ECM kills spark until you have reached somehting like 4000rpms. I would hate to see how much Nitrous would load up in an engine in that second or 2 that the ECM kills spark. I will buy a window swith and do as you suggest, but I will probably have it set to start the nitrous as low as 2000 and turn it off at 5500. It will also be on a full throttle switch so it cant turn on unless I am foot to the floor.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

HYPTNOTiSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
User Banned

Report this Post07-09-2003 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HYPTNOTiSEClick Here to visit HYPTNOTiSE's HomePageSend a Private Message to HYPTNOTiSEDirect Link to This Post
You dont' need a datalogger.
But it would be nice just to see whats happening

You prob wont' need to retard your timing with your larger injectors. I kept mine at 10 degrees base. No probs

I used stock R42Ts plugs too. Stock Delco plugs. BUrned some electrodes sometimes but better those then a piston.

ENgine never had a prob

------------------
Mike LeCompte
86 Fiero GT 3.2L w/ Nitrous

SAVE THE SHAUN

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Argh, I need to decide what size Nitous jets to use. I want to start out mild, about 50hp shot and work my way up to a 90hp shot. What size do I need to get me started. This is a home brew kit so I do not have the paper work that would come with a pre made kit. Like the new NOS Kit for the V6 Fiero.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 09:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You don't need the window switch with the WOT. All you need is a RPM activated switch.

Doesn't have to be the window one. Just have it cut out on top end, the WOT will take care of turning it on.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Do a search on 1fst2m6 and nitrous (u may need to look in archives). He posted several times on jets to use at least in a NX system. Start with a 75HP shot. With a 50HP you may not feel a "big" difference. My car dropped 2.5s 0-60 with the 75hp shot. I'll try the 100hp someday when I refill (I do like once a year )..

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Rob Ernst

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rob ErnstClick Here to visit Rob Ernst's HomePageSend a Private Message to Rob ErnstDirect Link to This Post
Hmmm. I was seriously considering nitrous but I didn't like the thought of filling the bottle. But if you only do it once per year... Maybe I'll re-consider it.

How much does it cost to fill a bottle? How much did you spend for all the stuff you've already gotten?

Rob

[This message has been edited by Rob Ernst (edited 07-09-2003).]

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 03:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
LOL, he was joking about the once a year bit. It will only last that long if you dont use it. It is my understanding that most people will empty a bottle in a good weekend of racing and playing on the street. It all depends on the amount of NO2 that you use. IF you use a 25hp to 50hp shot it will last a lot longer than if you use a 75hp to 100hp shot.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 03:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Why did you choose to go with a dry shot instead of wet? Seems like more tuning is needed to go with a dry shot. Can you make your engine run rich from in the car?
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 03:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
I chose to go with the dry shot becuase for me it was easier. I already had the larger injectors sitting on the bench. I already had the aduustable FPR and the air fuel gauge and the fuel pressure gauge. Plus I like the fact that I KNOW each cylnder is going to get fuel and not run lean. The Nitrous kit is much easier to install and has less parts to deal with. I have a single solinoid and a sinlge line, rather than 2 of each. I can place the nozzle anywhere I choose without the worry of fuel puddle as well.

I would never run a dry kit if I did not already have all this other stuff. The stock injectors just cant pump out enough fuel quick enough to run effectivly. That is why the people using 90hp dry shots are not going near as fast as people using 50hp wet shots. IN my case, my 50hp dry should be as good if not better than a 50hp wet shot becuase the fuel will be there long before the nitro gets there. Plus I have less of a chance of detonation.

Oh and one last thing, did I mention a dry shot is cheaper.

I am trying to give ya both sides of the coin, at least in my eyes. I am not a Pro, I do not know it all. That is why I started this thread.

Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
Like Capt said. I reffill once a year because where I live (& drive to work) almost 95% of people are these snowbirds driving Lincolns, Buicks and Crown Victorias ... Then also I have three cars to drive every day so I alternate acoording to weather, feelings, etc... Then I have no bottle heater so during winter (<78°F) I can't use it... Then... you get the idea
HYPTNOTiSE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
User Banned

Report this Post07-10-2003 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HYPTNOTiSEClick Here to visit HYPTNOTiSE's HomePageSend a Private Message to HYPTNOTiSEDirect Link to This Post
Capt: On a dry shot a .032 jet is a 50 shot and a .036 is a 70 shot. A .040 is a 90 shot.

Use a .042 for a bypass jet to the FPR

THis is from NOS directly as I have their dry kit. These are for a 2.8

Shaun41178 when he was still here had a dry kit too. Prob the fastest one here with a dry hit and an auto tranny.

He used a 70 shot dry kit from NOS and layed down a 14.1 qtr mile on a internally stock 2.8 engine and auto tranny. I have yet to see anyone else do that. He knew how to setup his sh!t thats for sure.

A dry kit is fine. Don't listen to all the wanna-be people out there who have never run a nitrous kit before and sit there and say that a wet kit is so much better. It has its pluses but at the same time it has negatives.

I personally dont' like the idea of having fuel in my LONG intake runners for it to puddle and collect. Too much to go wrong there.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-10-2003 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by HYPTNOTiSE:

Capt: On a dry shot a .032 jet is a 50 shot and a .036 is a 70 shot. A .040 is a 90 shot.

Use a .042 for a bypass jet to the FPR

THis is from NOS directly as I have their dry kit. These are for a 2.8

Shaun41178 when he was still here had a dry kit too. Prob the fastest one here with a dry hit and an auto tranny.

He used a 70 shot dry kit from NOS and layed down a 14.1 qtr mile on a internally stock 2.8 engine and auto tranny. I have yet to see anyone else do that. He knew how to setup his sh!t thats for sure.

A dry kit is fine. Don't listen to all the wanna-be people out there who have never run a nitrous kit before and sit there and say that a wet kit is so much better. It has its pluses but at the same time it has negatives.

I personally dont' like the idea of having fuel in my LONG intake runners for it to puddle and collect. Too much to go wrong there.

I hope that you are talking a diffrent number. Becuae I just got off of the phone with NOS Tech and explained the nosszle that I will be using and they said a #37 would be 50hp and a #42 would be 75hp. If your numbers are correct I might be putting closer to 100hp on my motor. I dont want that. I just want to shave 1 second from my time. Not 3 seconds LOL. I am going to call NOS again and confirm what they told me on the phone.

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2003 04:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Well I kinda started a new thread on this,
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/031244.html

But in short, I am very dissapointed. I pulled off 15.4 at 92.05mph you can check out the other thread to see why I think it came in so slow. Maybe give me a tip or 2. I think I am going to pull the 19's out and try the 15's with higher pressures.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock