Aluminum cradle mount sets by morse86@aol.com
Started on: 07-02-2003 04:14 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: morse86@aol.com on 07-05-2003 07:35 AM
morse86@aol.com

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post
Are you tiered of waiting for a set of those cast aluminum cradle mounts that have not been made yet? or the ones that are going to be made in some ones basment on the lathe covered it dust?

I have plenty of eight peice sets of precision machined, garenteed to fit, 6061 T6 Bilit aluminum cradle mount sets in stock, ready to ship. They sell for $100.00 for the set, Shipping included. I don't want to rain on any ones parade, but why reinvent the wheel? Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
FieroBUZZ

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
LOL.....took you long enough to jump in, Darrell.

I have a set of Mr. Morse's Cradle bushings and can vouch for the quality of the craftsmanship. Highly recommended!!!!!

Gary

DreXteR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DreXteRClick Here to visit DreXteR's HomePageSend a Private Message to DreXteRDirect Link to This Post
I have 2 sets also. They are exelent qualilty. Highly recomended.

BTW Darrell, I lost the diagram of how to install them. I beleive the "A" will go outside the craddle and the "B" inside. Im I right??

Thanx
DreX

Bernie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BernieSend a Private Message to BernieDirect Link to This Post
I have a set as well.
Went in like butter and with a very decent tolerance too I might add......

------------------
Thanx
Bernie
'86 Fiero 2M6 SE, Man
'85 Porsche 928S AT
'82 Honda CX500 Turbo
TheDIYgang

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Do these replace the stock Rubber bushings? If so why would you want a SOLID Bushings when the point of bushings are to give a little so things dont break??

Broke,
and Still

------------------
86 "PoSE" Needs every thing but 4 NEW Tires!!! They ride better when new, not like after they sit for 3 years!
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose

[This message has been edited by Kento (edited 07-02-2003).]

FieroBUZZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroBUZZSend a Private Message to FieroBUZZDirect Link to This Post
The solid bushings provide a solid mount for the cradle. This takes out some of the natural tendency to flex under stress. Also the rubber provides a softer ride quality, if you want that sort of thing.

Someone will be by to explain the technicalisms of the whole process.

coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
darrell is the man, i have his aluminum cradle bushing and poly motor mount both work/fit/look great. morse is the only way to go

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan NOW with a 4.10 4-speed <- edit broke 4.10 back to 3.65 4-speed
3.1 TDC + other goodies F/S $900 (no ECU or harness) PM or email for more info....

SAVE THE SHAUN!!!

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
Darrel,

Care to share the dimensions on those puppys... my dad has a lathe and could fab some up...

I know you're running a buisness so its probably a longshot getting these dimensions but worth a shot I guess...

All the best!

morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post
One of the improvements that GM engineers made to the 88 Fiero was to mount the engine cradle solid. This proved to eliminate any unwanted movement input from the cradle that could adversely affect the rear suspension geometry. This change was designed to improve the overall road feel (handling) of the Fiero. These solid aluminum mounts are probably not going to have as much of an affect on the 84-87 Fiero because of the more primitive suspension design, but it does help. In the case of an engine swap to increase horsepower, and / or modifications to the suspension such as lowering springs or performance shocks It will serve to stiffen up the space frame to help minimize flex and unwanted input to the rear suspension. Also, It won't really cause any more vibration unless you have poly engine and transmission mounts.
This set uses the four small bushings for the front part of the cradle and the larger ones go on the rear of the cradle. I do supply a brief instruction sheet on how it goes together and also a diagram. Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 08:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
The last thing you want is your cradle to be moving around, that’s what the struts are for.
$100 is a good price if you don’t have your own resources.

Do you have a web page with some of your other Fiero goodies and prices?

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2003 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
I think I will still go for the dust covered lathe, just cuz I can say I made them. However, I would not take the step that Darrell has and sell them, way too much work. I will say that everything that I have seen that he produces is great!
PFF
System Bot
morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 06:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jake_Dragon:

The last thing you want is your cradle to be moving around, that’s what the struts are for.
$100 is a good price if you don’t have your own resources.

Do you have a web page with some of your other Fiero goodies and prices?

Go to the Minnesota Fieros Forever web site, there is a link from there.
Or, Try this: http://www.diginostics.com/Darrell_Morse/darrell_morse.html Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 06:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post

morse86@aol.com

1103 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by The Aura:

Darrel,

Care to share the dimensions on those puppys... my dad has a lathe and could fab some up...

I know you're running a buisness so its probably a longshot getting these dimensions but worth a shot I guess...

All the best!

My wife keeps telling me that I do not run a Buisness, It is suppose to be a hobby to fund my Fiero projects, Hmmm.... Any ways, I did spend a fair amount of time to design the cradle mount set so I would have to say that giving up the drawings would be like giving out the secret family recipe! I realize you Canadians are well,, Frugal, so for that reason I am open to trades as well as cash for my parts and services Ie; "Will work for Fieros"!! Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 07:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by morse86@aol.com:

...I realize you Canadians are well,, Frugal, so for that reason I am open to trades as well as cash for my parts and services Ie; "Will work for Fieros"!! Thanks,

Tell him you'll sell him your secret for $100!

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

The Aura

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2003 12:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The AuraSend a Private Message to The AuraDirect Link to This Post
cire36

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cire36Send a Private Message to cire36Direct Link to This Post
Are the inner sleeves that are required with the rubbur and poly bushings required with these?
I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 01:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackDirect Link to This Post
That's a good price considering it includes the rears. When I get some bling-bling in my paypal account I will get a set.
morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cire36:

Are the inner sleeves that are required with the rubbur and poly bushings required with these?

No, You only need to leave the outer sleeve that is pressed into the cradle. I have tried several different ways to remove the rubber part with the inner sleeve and I would have to say that a hole saw worked the fastest for me. You just have to find one that is fairly close to the ID of the steel bushing and saw in from both sides. An alternate method that also works fairly well is to use a drill bit that is real close in size to fit between the inner and outer steel sleeves and drill through the rubber and kind of walk the drill around the inside of the outer sleeve. I have also heard of very good results with heating the outer sleeve until the rubber starts to melt and then push them out while still hot. I have not tried this yet. My oxygen tank for my torch setup has been emty for a couple of years now, Not very high on the priority list I guess. Hope this helps,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

[This message has been edited by morse86@aol.com (edited 07-05-2003).]

[This message has been edited by morse86@aol.com (edited 07-05-2003).]

morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 07:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post

morse86@aol.com

1103 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by I'm Back:

That's a good price considering it includes the rears. When I get some bling-bling in my paypal account I will get a set.

Sorry, we do not accept paypal, Postal money order or equivelant only. Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

morse86@aol.com

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2003 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for morse86@aol.comSend a Private Message to morse86@aol.comDirect Link to This Post

morse86@aol.com

1103 posts
Member since Jan 2000

Originally posted by DreXteR:

I have 2 sets also. They are exelent qualilty. Highly recomended.

BTW Darrell, I lost the diagram of how to install them. I beleive the "A" will go outside the craddle and the "B" inside. Im I right??

Thanx
DreX

Hi Drex, I set you an e-mail with the instruction sheet and a picture of how they go in. Thanks,

------------------
Darrell Morse
Custom Fiero components

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock