Paint with spray cans??? by dwilsonfl
Started on: 06-20-2003 09:25 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: dwilsonfl on 06-21-2003 01:37 PM
dwilsonfl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwilsonflSend a Private Message to dwilsonflDirect Link to This Post
I recently bought a car that is mostly yellow. Except for the aero nose, hood one fende and door which are black. I call it the bee for obvious reasons.

No money, can I paint it with spray cans and wet sand it? Just need a decent 10 ft job so my wife isn't embarrased by it.

David
85 GT "the bee"

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
At least go the the local paint supply house and have them match up the paint and make a few spray cans......it should only cost a few bucks
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
The hood would look bad. I painted the aero nose on mine with a spray can(black), and it looks very professional. Its nothing show quality, but you can't tell I used a spray can.

The hood would leave you with lines in the paint because it is so large.

Of course, its all going to look better than having different colored panels. Just remember to do a really good job on prep.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Cans can do a good job. Make sure you get good cans. Dupli Color is pretty decent. It may not match perfect on old paint but it will be better than a bee. Of course allot depends on how good is the yellow you have now.... Fiero and many other GM cars from that time often have problems with the clear coat etc...

I've painted stuff with cans. Good cans can do a hell of a job if you take a few steps.

1. find a book/video on car painting. while the book will be about using an air sprayer, the cans are not all that different and the same rules apply.

2. Buy a couple cans of Krylon or other decent brand can and practice on something other than the car. Even a cheap off brand paint can be good practice. Cheap cans usually have the hardest spray to control. If you can manage these, good cans are much easier.

The biggest part is to be moving thru the spray pass before you press the button. If you push the button before moving you will get runs/blotches for certain. This applies to all spray whether it be cans air or electric.

Distance with most cans should be about 10-12 inches from the surface but you'll need to test it to be sure of the cans you are using.

It's going to be tough on a big pannel but if you are carefull it will look better than what you have now.

------------------
Screamin' Yellow Zonkers... If it's Screaming and Yellow, I aint eatin it.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
The hard part with cans is that it dries too fast to keep the whole panel wet. Your going to get dull and shiney streaks, but if you wet sand and buff, it should turn out fair. Only use solid colors though, not metallics. Spray can paints take a lot longer to cure, so plan on waiting several months before buffing it.
GTFiero1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTFiero1Send a Private Message to GTFiero1Direct Link to This Post
my inner fastback panels i re-painted with a spray can and they turned out pretty good, although for some reason its kind of, dunno like not really smooth, should have wet sanded it, but still looks a lot better than it did. Im planning on painting my hood vents with a combination of srpray can colors. Found that a blue brake caliper paint as a base coat with a "candy apple" metallic blue spray paint (same stuff use on my plenum) makes an almost perfect match to the color on my car (except just more metallicy, but wont be too noticeable). So you can try an experiment with a combination of colors. Since the panels are black, spray them down with white of a very pale yellow first

------------------

--Adam--
1987 Blue GT 5-speed
IM AOL: FieroGT5speed

rube

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2003 04:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rubeSend a Private Message to rubeDirect Link to This Post
I've done the spray can (Duplicolor) thing. I wouldn't do it again. Like the man said, it's impossible to spray fast enough to let the paint flow out evenly ( it's a little easier at 40 degrees though ). I sprayed my whole car. Wet sanded and buffed and it looked goood. For a month. Can paint chips and scratches easily. Fades fast. When sitting in the sun, the paint softens and dirt embeds itself into the surface dulling it fast. And you don't want to know what a pain it is to sand off when you decide to get a real paint job. I just wouldn't
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2003 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
I spray bombed my wing with Dupli-Color Universal Black truck, van and SUV paint from Auto Zone. Looks GREAT. The secret is in the prep. I followed the instructions on the can and am very happy with the results. I also used their filler primer.

Several years ago, I painted the stainless steel strip at the base of the windshield on my 1980 El Camino (you know, that piece of metal the wipers always get hung up on on the 78-87 GM G bodies) with Wal-Mart gloss black spray paint and clear coated it with a decent automotive grade acrylic enamel clear. Was on the car for 3 years and always looked great. never faded or scratched. Once again, the prep made all of the difference. I used a metal etching primer.

------------------

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2003 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Here's a somewhat related question. I've got some areas of clear coat peeling on my car, and I want to spray can those areas so they look a bit more presentable until I can get the entire car painted. Do I need to just sand down to the color and then spray color over that, or do I have to go all the way to the body and spray primer?

If it works ok on the small areas that are peeling, I may try it on my entire nose section, since it's gotten really bad. Car looks like it has acne.

I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dwilsonfl:

I recently bought a car that is mostly yellow. Except for the aero nose, hood one fende and door which are black. I call it the bee for obvious reasons.

No money, can I paint it with spray cans and wet sand it? Just need a decent 10 ft job so my wife isn't embarrased by it.

David
85 GT "the bee"

Keep the car, get rid of the wife!!!!

dwilsonfl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2003 01:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dwilsonflSend a Private Message to dwilsonflDirect Link to This Post
Not happening! 30 years with her this year, and she's been good through all my nutty cars. I once had 5 Merkurs in the yard, two which ran.

I think I'll try the spray paint and go kiss my wife.

David
blessed man

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock