KYB GR2s on a 88 by summerjim
Started on: 06-09-2003 06:39 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Formula88 on 06-10-2003 02:51 PM
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
Tirerack.com shows KYB GR-2s for only 84-87 cars, not 88s. Has anyone had any trouble installing GR2s into an 88?

I see that the Fiero Store sells them for all years and I can't believe they would be different for an 88, but I'd like to know if anyone's had any trouble (or no trouble for that matter).

Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
summerjim

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 06:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for summerjimClick Here to visit summerjim's HomePageSend a Private Message to summerjimDirect Link to This Post
Refering to KYB struts, not shocks.
Larry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarrySend a Private Message to LarryDirect Link to This Post
The KYB struts fit most 88's without a problem and give plenty of room for alignment. I have never had a problem, but some folks say they have had to enlarge the mounting holes. Try a search here or try looking at www.fierosails.com/fierosecrets and fiero osg.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
I *think and hope* the 84-87 struts are the same as the 88's. I just ordered a set of 84-87 struts for my 88 after running a search and found Mr Fiero saying they were the same.

Just need to put my struts on my car with the lowering springs I ordered.

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
They fit just fine.

It's gettin the old ones off that sucks.

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Don't EVER enlarge strut mounting holes!!!

I've got the GR2's on my 88 Formula, and there was some slight clearance problem on the right rear. Where the knuckle has a point in the center of it, it hits part of the strut mount. I ground it for clearance and it works fine. It's very minor.

Next time I take the strut off, I'll probably grind down the knuckle some instead.

Larry

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LarrySend a Private Message to LarryDirect Link to This Post
Would enlongate make you feel better? Just passing along what I have read over the past several years.

Again, I have never had a problem putting KYB's on my 88.

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 12:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
I have them on my 87GT as well Jim. Fit with no trouble. I got mine w/ the 88 adapter kit from HMS.

------------------
'02 Subaru WRX 14.61@91.87mph bone stock
'87 Fiero GT 4.9/4T60e, ZEX nitrous 65hp shot, 88 cradle w/ coil overs, Poly everything, Upgraded sway bars, 16X7 M11's, 11.25 "Zettner" front brakes, Complete MSD ignition w/ 6AL box, Custom 3" SLP exhaust, Grand Sport Corvette paint, Carbon fiber interior trim, '98 T/A CD w/ ETR, White face guages, Pillar mounted AutoMeter O2, Hella H4 conversion and maybe someday it will be done!

Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 01:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
I did the same identical thing formula88 did on my coupe. although i had to slightly grind the spindle piece too...very minor.

if you dont grind, then you don't get the full range of camber like you are supposed to and may end up with positive camber on the rear tires.

------------------
88 4cyl 5spd & 88 Formula 5spd

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
Here is my experience on KYB struts on the rear of '88 Fieros......I have used KYB's exclusively on all of my '88 Fieros since 1994 (about 7 or 8 cars) and I discovered that using lowered springs created no problems, but using the stock springs gave me fits.

The very first time I installed KYB struts was back in 1994 on my first Fiero, an '88 GT. I swapped out the struts with no problems and drove it to Sears for an alignment......the right rear was out of whack and they "fixed" it for me. They never told me what they did, but I have to assume it was something similar to what other here have done, which was to grind away some metal.

At that time I had the stock springs.....it was later that year that I installed a set of lowered springs. Since then I have always used lowered springs and never had a problem. Last year I sold my '88 GT T-Topper that had new KYB's and new lowered springs. I removed the springs, but left the KYB's (since I didn't have a set to replace them with). It had the same problem with the right rear that I experienced on tat fierst Fiero, but that I didn't experience on the same car wuth the dropped springs.

I can't say that this holds true to all '88 Fieros, but it has been my experience. Even if you have issues it is not a very hard thing to fix......certainly no reason not to try the KYB's. They are, IMO, the best shock/strut available for the Fiero for the price.

------------------

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post06-10-2003 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larry:

Would enlongate make you feel better? Just passing along what I have read over the past several years.

Again, I have never had a problem putting KYB's on my 88.

No, it wouldn't. Not trying to slam you, since you're just reporting what you've heard, but you should NEVER do this. Those 2 bolts at the bottom are all that hold your strut to the knuckle. One is slotted to allow for camber adjusment and the other is the pivot point. Elongating or modifying either of these bolt holes is asking for trouble - and you'll likely not be able to get the car aligned. Correct the clearance problem itself, rather than work around the problem.

I only harp on this because it's a SAFETY issue.

[This message has been edited by Formula88 (edited 06-10-2003).]

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock