Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Check engine light comes on during highway driving???

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Check engine light comes on during highway driving??? by anthony_86gt
Started on: 06-07-2003 05:54 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: watts on 06-20-2003 12:21 PM
anthony_86gt

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 05:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
I need some help figuring out what keeps causeing the light to go on while im on the express way. my light came on about a month ago because of the tps. i replaced it and everything was good. now my light comes on. my car doesnt do anything funny at all. once i shut the car off and turn it back on its ok. if someone can please help me i would really appriciate it. thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
i just checked it and its a code 32. what should i look for. and i also tried reseting the code.
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
32 Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor circuit failure
Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve diagnostic switch - closed during engine startup or open when EGR flow requested by ECM
EGR/EVRV (Electronic Vacuum Regulator Valve)

------------------
Rich
white '86 se: , 2" drop, coil overs, KYB's. CRX intake, ported manifolds

Gold '86se: ,350 bored .030 over,World Products s/r Torquers, ported, Manley valves, edelbrock 750cfm, carb sanderson cc90's,4:10,Spec stage 3copper puck clutch , adj.Koni's, Eibach's,polly. and lots more!!

'92 BMW 325i : borla exhaust, ST brace, cold air intake

watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
EGR control valve switch is toast (or the valve itself).

if you don't want to actually fix the problem, gently tug on the two wires going into the small black box on top of the solenoid. Turn them face to face, and slide them together. ECM now thinks that the switch is on. Done it on a dozen cars and it works fine.

------------------
87/88 V6 5spd Notchback Hybrid (coming very soon - Fastback conversion into a "FormulaGT")

My page: http://www.fieroclub.com

topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
EGR valve switch translates into the EGR solenoid. Check the hoses on the solenoid, if they are all good, you more than likely have a bad solenoid.

Had the same exact problem, and my solenoid was bad.

jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post06-07-2003 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post
Had the same thing on my 86.
Where exactly is the EGR valve switch that translates into the EGR solenoid?

------------------
jetman "aka" Dangerkitty To The Rescue

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jetman:
Where exactly is the EGR valve switch that translates into the EGR solenoid?

Right side of the engine.
Just below the thermostat housing.
Above the belt (sorta).
Looks like a tube about 1" in diameter.
Has two hoses attached to it.
1 4pin connector.

The sensor switch is the flat squarish thing attached to the top of it.

David Bartlett

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2003 11:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David BartlettSend a Private Message to David BartlettDirect Link to This Post
Check the small hose theat runs from the solenoid to the egr valve first. That hose seems to give lots of us problems.
84Bill

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 461
User Banned

Report this Post06-08-2003 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 84BillClick Here to visit 84Bill's HomePageSend a Private Message to 84BillDirect Link to This Post
I just got done working on my car because every once in a while I'd get a CES light (lean exhaust) at cruise. So I started sniffing around and low and behold my EGR valve was the culprit.

2 things were wrong

The return spring was very weak and the valve leaked vaccume big time. IF it did not have as bad a vaccume leak as it did the EGR would be open all the time!

The vaccume hose was pulling constant vaccume and it is not supposed to, It should only pull vaccume when the throttle is off idle.

This would account for the rampent idle seeking and occasional stalling at lights and stop signs. The hose was mixed up with the fuel vapor canister.

Shadow_Wolf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Shadow_WolfSend a Private Message to Shadow_WolfDirect Link to This Post
Horrid code 32 - luckily I traced mine down to a vacuum leak at the EGR solenoid.. A lot cheaper than replacing the rest of the system. Of course, I had to replace the broken EGR valve first. (When I bought the car it had been 'wired' on)
anthony_86gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2003 08:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for anthony_86gtSend a Private Message to anthony_86gtDirect Link to This Post
Ok another thing is that i have a newer egr valve on the car. no weird idles or nothing just the light. and what is watts talking about with just putting the 2 lines together?? any pictures? thanks
PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by anthony_86gt:Ok another thing is that i have a newer egr valve on the car. no weird idles or nothing just the light. and what is watts talking about with just putting the 2 lines together?? any pictures? thanks

You can have as new an EGR valve as you like - has no bearing on what the ECM can see (the state of that switch).

This is an overall shot with the wires noted:

And closer up, noting the wires, and the arrow pointing to roughly where they come from:

red85gt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 01:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for red85gtClick Here to visit red85gt's HomePageSend a Private Message to red85gtDirect Link to This Post
My car dose it too and it is a bad egr solenoid. Replacement can still be bought from gm and are under $100 i think.
862M4inCA

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 03:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 862M4inCASend a Private Message to 862M4inCADirect Link to This Post
I bet a wrecking yard would have one thats only $5.
Zoom88

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 07:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Zoom88Click Here to visit Zoom88's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zoom88Direct Link to This Post
Had the same problem awhile back. As some have mentioned I replaced the EGR solenoid and everything was fine.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 10:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I swapped out 3 solonoids in my car, I still get the darn code 32. Should I try the actual EGR piece on the crossover now?

------------------

--1986 SE V6, Wild Custom Notchback
--1984 SE Modified Notchback

watts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2003 12:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:
I swapped out 3 solonoids in my car, I still get the darn code 32. Should I try the actual EGR piece on the crossover now?

I wouldn't bother - the ECM can't see the valve! I'd verify the wiring between the EGR solenoid and the ECM. There's only 4 wires. Pull the connector off the solenoid, and pull the connectors off the ECM. Then just use a multimeter with audible continuity (easiest way anyhow) to probe each of the 4 lines.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock